Wednesday, December 4, 2019

A Full Life...

Monday, November 2nd, Claude and I went in to Georgetown together for him to go to Physical Therapy. He leaves me with Papa while he has PT. This saves us one car on one day into Georgetown. It is a little thing but we feel good trying to save and conserve a bit. We determined Claude would cook dinner that evening but knew we needed something light at lunch time. I suggested a mango/pineapple smoothie for me. Claude obliged and we drove thru Dairy Queen. Then it was home to fill the afternoon. I worked on some sewing for Christmas and some things that needed to be done on my computer. 

Tuesday, November 3rd, was such a productive day. Claude had meetings in Lexington. He called an inspector that had to inspect the installation of the new hot water heater. I stayed home so he could get in the house to do that inspection. I finished up the sewing I had to do to get Christmas packages in the mail. I heard noises outside and found the utility people out trimming trees in the back yard. I am always happy to see this. It gets limbs away from the power line and the phone lines. When we have ice in the winter, this will keep us from losing power because a limb broke on them. 
The inspector came. I showed him to the basement. He looked at the hot water heater and said it was installed correctly. He put a green sticker confirming this approval and was off to his next home to inspect. Very quick. 

I was trying to take out Christmas decoration boxes so I could carry them upstairs each time I went back upstairs. If I emptied one, I brought the empty box back downstairs and put it in storage. I knew I wouldn't have time to finish the interior decorating but I would get a good start on it. 

After the inspector left, I managed to get the two boxes I had to mail ready and headed to the post office in Sadieville. This is what I saw in front of the post office. The UPS truck was pulled up and working diligently to move boxes into the post office. That big package crate is parked right in front of the big window of the post office. The lady inside told me she now understands it is a permanent fixture. It was put there by Amazon to handle all the packages they deliver in Sadieville and northern Scott County. It saddens me to think it may be a permanent fixture. It is just unsightly in every sense. Ugh!! 
Tuesday, someone posted this cute meme on Facebook. Our son, Jacob, is an English major. I sent it to him and he definitely enjoyed it. 
Tuesday afternoon I spent with Papa. I needed to be home before 5pm so Claude and I could go on our date. While sitting with Papa I received a text from Claude. He said we had a 'change of plans'. It seems he looked at our tickets. We were to go to the Eastern Kentucky Center for the Arts to see the Beach Boys. I purchased tickets and I purchased a parking pass. When I printed the tickets and the parking pass I gave them to Claude folded in half. When Claude opened them, the parking pass was on top. He entered the parking pass information on his calendar. His calendar shows up on my calendar on our cell phones and lap tops. The problem. The tickets were for February 27th. The parking pass said "Beach Boys" but the date on it was December 3rd. Hmmmm... Claude checked on the Internet and, sure enough, the event at EKU for Tuesday evening was "A Christmas Carol" not the Beach Boys. I had not put the Beach Boys on my December calendar. I did have it on my February calendar. When I got home, we figured out it was probably a glitch on the parking pass. We opted to enjoy an evening at home. Claude made a sausage/corn chowder out of leftovers from our Thanksgiving meals. I started the laundry. Claude found Trans-Siberian Orchestra on the local public television channel and we settled in for the evening. I address all the Christmas cards and will get those out in the next day or two. Claude finished the Christmas letter for these cards today.

Tuesday was just a good full day and I felt very productive.

Today has been another good day. Claude left for meetings in the morning. I finished bringing up the Christmas boxes for inside the house with the exception of the Christmas tree. Then I headed into Georgetown to be with Papa. 

Papa was a concern today. When I got to the nursing home at 9:30am he was a curled up in his bed and his breakfast was on the table by his bed. He had not eaten but he didn't look like he was really asleep. I touched his arm and told him his breakfast was there and he had not eaten. He was disoriented. I asked him if he was okay. He kept saying, "No, no I'm not okay. My head hurts. Somethings not right with my head." I got him up and sitting on the side of his bed and reminded him we were going to go to the church and I was going to practice the organ but he needed to eat his breakfast first. He set to eating. He had to clean himself up before we could go and while he did that I went to the nurses station to sign him out of the nursing home for a bit. There was a new medical person that was checking patients with Signature Advantage insurance. She was new to that position. I was again very grateful I was there to talk with her before she met Papa. Papa just doesn't remember his health issues and really doesn't give a good report to any medical personnel. I visited with her and then she came to Papa's room and talked with him and took some vitals. She did a few things to see how Papa was doing. One thing was to pat the tops of her legs and then ask Papa to copy what she was doing. He just wasn't getting what to do. Simple task but I again could see how disoriented he was today. He tried raising his leg and all kinds of things before she got him to understand what she was asking. We eventually got him his morning meds and went on to the church. He got disoriented going into the chapel. There is a door into the front of the cultural hall, a tiny wall, and then a door into the back of the chapel. He was pushing his walker into this little wall instead of going through a door. Ugh... It was good to get him out and about. 

After taking Papa back to the nursing home, I went to Dairy Queen. My dear friend, Laura, was going to meet me there for lunch and a good long visit. We don't get to do this often and we both relish the opportunity to visit like that. I love this Lady. She is a great source of comfort and strength for me. 

After we parted ways, I quickly drove to Kohl's to purchase pajamas for Bailey and Hayden. I am sewing pajamas to Raelyn and Emelia and they will get them on Christmas Eve. I wanted Bailey and Hayden to have that experience at the same time since the Ropers will be in Kentucky sharing Christmas with us this year. I was able to find pajamas for the Mini's and use my discount card. Score!!

Then I hurried out to Sadieville. I am on the Board of Adjustments and there was a resident asking for a variance on a garage he is building on his property. The meeting was brief and we granted the variance. I was also able to voice my concern with Mayor Rob Wagoner about that crate in front of the post office. His understanding is it is only there through Christmas. The problem is that the place it is sitting is really post office property. There is no room in back of the post office for the mail trucks to turn around if the Amazon shipping box is back there. Main Street and the parking spots across from Main Street are the property of the railroad that runs through Sadieville. Permission would need to be received from the railroad to park the shipping crate there. We'll see if it disappears after the Christmas shipping rush.

We have had a good evening at home again. I have gotten some things done on my lap top and a few more Christmas items placed in our home. It feels good to accomplish things and have a full and productive life. Not all days are like that. I have been blessed with two in a row and that just feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment