Friday, February 26, 2021

Two Very Different Days...

Wednesday, February 24th, Claude and I woke up and discussed what big thing we each wanted to accomplish that day. My goal was laundry interspersed with reading and crocheting. Claude had a big goal but I don't remember what it was. My bad!! Claude said, "OR...we could watch some more Psych all day." We opted for Psych. I did crochet between loads of laundry. It was a very, very laid back kind of day.

Then came Thursday, February 25th. I had my annual exam with Dr. Lyon at 10:30am. This is required by Medicare to maintain Medicare coverage. I seriously would probably not be good at doing the annual exam, even though I know they are a good thing. I really don't care to go to the doctor unless there is a concern. In truth, this appointment should have been in December. I thought I scheduled it at my December 2018 appointment, but, alas, I did not. So it caught up with me in February when they wouldn't refill my blood pressure medication without an annual exam. I really like our family doctor. 

They always weigh you when you arrive at the doctor's office. My weight was about what I weigh at home so I felt good about that. Well, not good because I wished I weighed less but happy because doctor office scales are always 5 pounds heavier than my home scales. This time they were in close alignment. However…isn’t there always a ‘however’…when I got on the scales they had my weight on one side of the digital display and on the other side of the digital display it read "LOL". When people send text messages, they use lots of abbreviations. I truly don’t use them so I only know a few. LOL means Laugh Out Loud. So, I literally got on my doctor’s scale and it gave my weight and said, “LOL!!”. I chuckled all the way to the room for my checkup. The nurse checking me in and asking all the preliminary questions assured me he thought it meant the scale had a low battery. He also mentioned his mother reads LOL as Lots of Love. I like that. 

I had a good checkup. They took all kinds of fluids for testing and I don’t know those results yet. I had three areas of my body that I have concerns about. One is my right hand experiencing great pain when I crochet. I will stop and let it rest for a day or two before I start again. Dr. Lyon says he believes it is arthritis. Our old friend ‘Arthur It is’. Okay, he gave me a prescription for a pain med I can take only on the days I want to crochet and it should give me relief so I can crochet things for my grandmonsters. 

The second is my lower back is giving me a lot of pain. Now, it has to be a lot or I would not complain about it. It usually happens during the night in the hours just before time to wakeup come, I can’t hardly roll over, can’t find a comfortable position in which to lay and I have a hard time getting out of bed and walking. Again, he feels the culprit is ‘Arthur Itis’. 

The third area is my throat. I have been taking a high blood pressure medication that is actually two medications in one pill. The second part of the prescription can cause you to cough a lot. I have done that and told Dr. Lyon about it December 2019. Now, I not only cough but I am having a hard time swallowing and experience an itchy pain as the food goes down the esophagus. Dr. Lyon changed my blood pressure medication to something else and told me if I don’t feel a change in two weeks to call him back. He may need to put a scope down my throat and stretch my esophagus. I'm telling you, the 70th decade of my life is full of aging issues. My mum-in-law, Bonnie, has had this done several times already. Not a biggy. Just another little thing that happens as we age. I’m telling you, 70 years old is not being good to me!!

After the doctor I took a treat bag to the nursing home for Papa and filled the birdfeeder. It was great to see Papa through the window and get a grin and a wave. The treat bag contained the new Liahona (a church magazine). He was grinning and pointing to it. Clearly he was very happy to get this magazine to read. 

I spoke with Kathy Jones when I dropped off the treat bag. I asked if they were getting closer to allowing in-person visits. She said they were working on the particulars and would be sending me a letter soon to tell me what to do. These visits will not be daily visits like I did with Papa before the corona virus. They will only be for about 20 minutes. I won’t be able to hug Papa and that will be very, very difficult. Lord only knows I could use a Papa hug in the worst way possible. But Papa and I will behave ourselves and that will come in time. We have our second vaccine on March 12th. That should help to qualify me to get in. The nursing home can now also give those quickie virus tests with results in 15 minutes. So they could give me one of those also.  I don’t know how quickly this will happen. But I was happy to know it is in the works. 

I went to Frankfort to buy fabric. We don’t have a fabric store in Georgetown. Katelyn sent me a pattern with a request to make her girls some fleece ponchos to wear when they are in their car. So I purchased fabric for those and will make them tomorrow. I sent pictures of my choice of fabrics for the girls. Katelyn is purple with Frozen pattern. Emelia is pink with Paw Patrol pattern. I will sew on Friday.
I drove back to Georgetown to pick up my four new prescriptions at CVS. Alas, they only had 3 of them filled. CVS put in a request to the doctor’s office to resend the 4th prescription. Then I also called the Dr. Lyon's office and asked them to please resend, apologizing for the inconvenience. Ugh! I paid for my 3 prescriptions and went on about my day.

Next I had to wash my car. The lines were short this day and I got in line and waited my turn. My car was filthy from the ice and snow we have been through. Felt good to get all that off as there had to be chemicals to treat the roads in all that mix and that doesn’t need to stay on the car. 

Claude was in town so he met me at Zaxby’s and we ordered dinner at their drive-thru and ate in their parking lot. Then he was off to do his other errands for the day and I was off to Kohl’s to shop. 

Claude gave me a gift card for Christmas which I had not used it yet. So I shopped till I was ready to drop. I carefully purchased so I would use the entire value of the gift card. When the lady checked me out, she gave me an additional 20% off. I still have $15 left on the gift card!! Plus, she gave me some Kohl's Cash. I haven't even looked to see what that might be. Guess that means I’ll have to shop again!!

I drove back to CVS and they had filled the 4th prescription, so I picked it up.

Home I headed on the new by-pass around Georgetown. Whew!! I was now ready to curl up on my love seat for the evening and crochet some more on that baby afghan. Four more rows and then crochet the edging around the outside to finish.

About a week ago my cousin, Sue Fisch, posted a picture of her father, my Uncle Clifford and his wife, my Aunt Billie, on Facebook. It was a picture of them in a pretend jail. I remembered a similar picture of my parents in a pretend jail and wondered if they had taken pictures of each other. The background of each picture lets me know they were not taken at the same time. However, I find it amusing to see this brother and sister, who loved each other very much, in a pretend jail picture with their spouses. The first picture is Uncle Clifford with Aunt Billie. The second picture is my mother, Virginia (June), and my father, Vernon Lawrence. 
Another things that amused me this week was a meme on Facebook. It said, "My favorite childhood memory is having energy!" After my doctor visit, I would whole-heartedly agree!!

So, Wednesday was very laid back. Thursday was exhausting for someone who has stayed home most of the time for a year. A lot of driving for someone who really hasn't driven very much. Monday and Wednesday I drove myself. It feels like life is trying to get back to some form of normal. Whatever normal will be?!?!



No comments:

Post a Comment