Sunday, March 21, 2021

A Treasured Visit...

Thursday, March 18, 2021, was a day a year in the making. I had my first appointment for an in-person visit with Papa. It was to be at 3pm. I was to come a few minutes early to do paperwork. Claude drove me in so we could get dinner together in Georgetown.

When I entered the lobby of the nursing home, Glen was there to meet me. He is the chaplain for the nursing home as well as overseeing their quality of life services. He had been given the responsibility of scheduling visits and being sure we all received instructions as to what was okay and not okay to do during the visit. Glen took me to a keyboard on a stand that was level with my hands as I stood. It had a little monitor and I was to take a little survey as I entered. Glen walked me through what it was all about. The second step with this contraption was to take my temperature. I pressed the second button and adjusted this little monitor that pointed at my forehead. From a distance it took my temperature. I passed! Then Glen had me sign some waivers about entering the nursing home and not pressing charges if I got some illness. We are a litigious society! 

My understanding was I would be in full PPE (Personal Protective Equipment). Papa would wear his mask. We would sit 6 feet apart and not be allowed to touch. I was allowed to bring things for Papa but no food for us to eat together. That would mean removing our masks and that was not allowed. What actually happened was all I had to wear was a mask provided by the nursing home. I put that on and it was so tight. Then Glen told me that, since Papa has had his vaccine and I have had mine, if Papa hugged me that would be okay. I almost wept. I had a real concern that Papa would not understand the guidelines and rules for this visit. I had explained them many times in my daily letters to him. But his memory is such that he only knows what is on his mind at that moment. Having no physical contact or hugs for over a year would definitely mean he would want a hug. I would too, but I understood and knew the rules. Glen telling me not to worry was such a wonderful relief. 

Glen took me back to the dining room where I would wait for them to bring Papa to me. I positioned myself at the table so I was looking down the hall where he would enter the dining room.

Glen said he had to wake Papa up when he entered Papa's room. As soon as Glen told Papa I was in the dining room to visit with him, Papa fairly bounded out of bed. Not bad for a 92 year old infirmed fella!!

As Papa came toward the dining room, I raised my hand and waved at him from a distance. He had such a big grin on his face. He came right up to me and reached over that walker and gave me a hug that went on and on. All I could do was tell him to hug as long as he wanted to hug. 

We got Papa seated and, what was to have been a 20 minutes visit, was much longer. We visited for at least 45 minutes. Papa couldn't understand me with that mask on my face. I was trying not to get right in his face to talk. I tried to steer him so he would talk to me. He got on the topic of us girls and what our kids names were. I took a little tablet out of my purse and wrote each of our names on little pieces of paper, then listed our children in birth order underneath. Papa kept saying, "Thank you for this. I can't keep it straight. This is so helpful." He asked if he could keep those pieces of paper. I assured him that was fine. I also took in all the Facebook, text and eMail's I had received from family and friends when I told them we were going to get an in-person visit. When I left he had lots of reading material. 

Glen and I made my next appointment for March 30th at 1pm. I will be there will bells on again. By that time my second Covid-19 vaccine will be over two weeks old so I should be good on not getting or giving the virus. Neil, the director for the nursing home, came in while I visited with Papa and told me they felt that after the two week time on my second vaccine, I could look forward to taking Papa out of the nursing home. What a joy that will be for him. I have often thought, as I have been out and about during the quarantine time this last year, how hard it must be for Papa to have the walls of the nursing home limiting his view of things. How grateful for that window and the birdfeeder in it. He loves that. He told me he counted 12 little birds up there one day. 

I am grateful that Papa did not get Covid-19. His lungs could not have endured that. I am grateful for the staff at the nursing home taking such good care of him. I will continue to write him a letter each day and take in his treat bags until we get to where I can visit whenever I want. May this virus continue to decline and be brought under control. 

Claude and I went to Cattleman's Roadhouse for dinner. Claude had been talking about wanting a steak for a few days. I suggested we go to Cattleman's Roadhouse. He liked the idea so away we went. This cute deer was on their wall as you enter. Please note, he is wearing his mask! Sign of these times. It is still funny to see all the statues and other things with masks on them. 
Friday, March 19, 2021 & Saturday, March 20, 2021, was a time to do a little spring cleaning as we prepare for our family to visit on Monday. Each day I was able to read a bit in my book about the Templars and get a little bit more done on my crochet project. 

Sunday, March 20, 2021, I was sustained as a Family History Consultant at Church. Everyone in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is given a calling. I am the organist but haven't done that for a year because of Covid-19 restrictions. This Family History Consultant calling is something I have no skills at whatsoever. I will be doing some reading, studying, watching training videos, and practicing to be able to help others. I have thought for some time that I need to do actual family history (genealogy) research. I keep putting it off and taking on other projects. I actually told Heavenly Father in my prayer last night 'thank you'. He knows the desires of my heart. I told him I felt like this calling, that I am totally unqualified for, is a gift from Him to me so that I will act on those promptings I have felt. So, I am off on a new adventure for me.

An interesting thing happened in the past few days. Katelyn sent me this picture.
This my friends is a post card Claude and I mailed to the Ropers from Johannesburg, South Africa in August 2019. It just arrived at their home. Andie sent me one that was mailed to Hayden and he received it about a month ago. Takes a long time for mail to get from South Africa to Michigan or Kentucky!!

No comments:

Post a Comment