Monday, March 1, 2021

A Friend...

I received a text from the daughter of a friend last night. She asked if she could as a favor of me. I assured her that was fine. It seems her mother, Bevy, my friend, has a birthday this Saturday. Tonya, the daughter, wanted to surprise her mother with notes about her mother from friends of her mother. My task would be to write up some memories of Bevy in my life. I asked Tonya if I could do that today and send it to her. She assured me that would be okay. This morning I went through my picture files trying to find a few pictures of Bevy in my life. I came up with some and wrote the following and sent it to Tonya.

“Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints on your heart.” ~~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Bevy Myers has left footprints on my heart.

We met when Bevy started dating Fred Myers. This was a match made in heaven. I was privileged to participate in their wedding by playing the piano. I will never forget the minister saying the words of the commitment Bevy was making to Fred. The minister stopped and assured Bevy he was not going to ask her to ‘obey’. We all had a good chuckle.

Motorcycles were our common interest. We started out enjoying time together in our Chapter functions. (Sandi, Claude, Fred, Bevy at the Maryland State Picnic). We would travel many miles together. One of my favorite memories is a design Bevy drew for something. Bevy drew a rabbit with a helmet on its head. She titled it ‘Helmet Hare’. Loved it.
I am blessed to have little memories of Bevy particularly at Christmas. My Christmas tree skirt was made by her as well as two decorations that go on our dining room table each Christmas. Anyone who gives of their time and talents to make you something is a true friend.

When Claude and I had our 25th anniversary, we wanted to take our first cruise. Fred and Bevy joined us and we all went on a four day cruise to the Bahamas. Bevy and I bought hats. We saw a funny thing with a lady in an elastic waist skirt that we still laugh about to this day. (Sandi, Fred & Bevy)
Bevy has always cared about and accepted me as I am. I love her very much and am most grateful she was placed in my life path. She is caring and fun, well organized yet flexible. She loves her family and has respect for everyone. Happy Birthday Bevy!! Hope you have a great birthday. 
Sandi Christensen

I was grateful Tonya included me in this very thoughtful gesture for her mother's birthday. It gave me a chance to say how I felt about Bevy. It also gave a moment to pause and think about friendships. I have had many during my life. Many really sweet friends. There are a handful that have been like sisters to me. Bevy is one of these. How grateful I am that the good Lord has placed these ladies in my path as they were needed in my life. Any one of them I could see again and pick up right were we left off the last time we saw each other. Any one of them I could call and tell I needed a shoulder or a listening ear and they would pause and be there. Friendships can bring us fun times, they carry us through the hard times, they listen and don't judge when we need to vent, they lift us up when we are down, and they are always good for a hug when we really need one. I am richly blessed by having these good friends in my life. Bevy is truly one of those friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment