Sunday, August 14, 2022

The Journey's Home...

Friday, August 5th, we had to check out of Harbor Lights by 10am. Then we began the drive home. We would drive about 5 hours this day and spend the night in Asheville, North Carolina. This day we were pretty sure Kris had Covid. Claude was also starting to sniffle but no other symptoms. 

We stopped for gas at I-20 ramp. They had a gas pump but Claude and Cordell could not get it to accept any of our credit cards. No gas for us. I went in to get us fountain drinks. A little boy was standing at the door. He looked up at me and asked if I wanted to go inside. I told him I did. He opened the door and held it for me to enter. I told him he was a gentleman and a scholar. He looked at me and grinned from ear to ear. We would encounter each other several other times in the store and he always grinned. I loved this interchange. There were no fountain drinks in this store. 

We got to Ashville and found the Fairfield Inn and checked ourselves in. I found the Stone Ridge Tavern as a possible place for our evening meal. It was a good choice and we all enjoyed our meal.
Saturday, August 6th, would be another day of driving. The goal was to first get to Bubba Gump's for lunch. We opted to drive through Great Smokey Mountain National Park to get there. Alas, it would rain on us a good share of that 30 miles drive. 
The drive through Great Smokey Mountain National Park drops you right at Gatlinburg. We had no trouble getting a seat at Bubba Gump's. The rain must have slowed their traffic flow a lot. We all ate shrimp, shrimp and more shrimp. 
Back to the car and on to Georgetown, Kentucky. The drive went well.
It was good to be back to our home. Cordell and Kris settled into the guest room. We learned the Marx family all had Covid. In the evening, we pulled out our Covid tests. Everyone but me tested positive. Ugh. I notified our Primary president I would probably have it soon and would not be at Primary this Sunday. 

Sunday, August 7th, Claude got up and drove thru Bojangles to purchase biscuits for breakfast. They were delicious. 

Kris loves horses. A drive through Kentucky horse country was in order. Kris took all of these pictures on our drive. Along the way we had our big meal at Wallace Station. My sandwich was on homemade rye bread. Yummy!
In the evening, we sat on our patio. No humidity. A nice temperature. Absolutely lovely.

I noticed something a little unusual with my foot. Only on one toe and it didn't hurt at all. It was just an unusual bruised color. It was gone a couple of days later. I told everyone it looked like what they call Covid toe. Cordell and Kris has never heard of that. They looked it up and had a new wrinkle in their brain as they learned something new.
I had a funny from Andie: I guess we have carried on a bit here about Hayden being the one to bring COVID home. I mentioned to him that you guys have it and he asked if he gave it to you all too… Claude’s response: Tell him it’s his fault and his grandfather is near death… Oh My!!

Monday, August 8th, Claude got up early and bought donuts from Franks for breakfast. 

We decided to go tour Mega Caverns in Louisville. No pictures of that. We next drove to City BBQ for dinner. Then we drove to the hotel for Kris and Cordell by the airport. They would leave in the wee small hours of the morning.

We had such a wonderful time with them, Covid and all. 
 
Funny from Andie: Here’s a funny for you… I thought that maybe I would dust today. But I can’t find my dusting wand so I asked Bailey because she’s helped do that downstairs before. Turns out she’s been keeping out long wand by her bad because she figured out it’s long enough for her to close the bedroom door from her bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment