Monday, May 11, 2009

Mum's The Word...

So, yesterday was Mother's Day. I have struggled with this holiday for years. There are several possibilities of why I feel this struggle. In 1970-1971 when I was pregnant with Nissa I was working as a beautifician (cosmetologist if you want to be REAL fancy). I was blissfully pregant during my 1st year of marriage and having a very healthy pregnancy (aside from the morning sickness which many of us have and can attest to as one of the worst kinds of hurling know to females). One of my regular patrons was a young sister in our ward. Her hubby was also in the Air Force. She also was pregnant and miscarried. She had done this many times and they were beginning to accept that she might not be able to carry a child. My heart ached for this sweet young sister. It made me very aware of my growning abdomen when she came to the beauty shop and when we visited at Church. I just felt great concern for all those who try to have children and can't on Mother's Day. My other thought is that we really play up Mother's Day and we often just do a little for Father's Day. It just seemed inequitable. So for several reasons, I have struggled with Mother's Day. Given all that beginning information, this year was just a great day. When I woke up to get ready for Church, my hubby brought a little box and a card to me. The box was from Lenox. I opened it and found inside a beautiful silver bracelet with a turtle hanging as its onament. If you know me, you know my favorite word is turtle. Over the years I have collected a few turtles and so this bracelet was a real treat. It also helped determine what I would wear to Church so that it would match the bracelet. I was asked to substitute playing the organ for sacrament meeting. I love to play the organ and don't get to do that very often. I considered that opportunity a blessing for me on Mother's Day. After Church, we hurried home to get in relaxing clothes for the rest of the day. Jake called and we had such a nice visit. We chatted about lots of stuff and it felt good to hear from my son and get to talk for so long. Then Claude prepared a dinner of barbequed chicken, baked beans, potato salad and rolls. Mimi and Papa joined us and we visited and then had that wonderful dinner followed by Oreo cookie ice cream cake from Dairy Queen for dessert. Yummm. We wore Mimi right out and Papa took her back to the nursing home. I just missed the call from Nissa and kids. I got a great singing message on my cell phone from them of "Happy Mother's Day to You". I just love that. The mini-Marx's called. Michael was trying to give the phone to Hayden and (if is understood correctly) Hayden said something to Michael about needing to finish chewing or 'she will not understand'. I love the honesty of little ones. Then our friends Dawn & Justin Buttars came over and helped finish the chicken, beans and potato salad. We visited until about 9pm and then they headed back to Georgetown. I loved sitting on the front porch on a beautiful day. I loved visiting with family. I loved my turtle bracelet and that wonderful meal fixed by my guy. It was a good day. I'm including 2 pictures with this blog entry. This one was taken last Thanksgiving and is me hugging Mimi. Love her little heart she just keeps hanging in there. We had a real struggle to get her into Papa's car for him to take her back to the nursing home. We are probably at the end of our being able to bring her out to Sadieville. But it was wonderful to have her close for one more Mother's Day.
This other picture is the card the mini-Marx's sent to me for Mother's Day. It is Bailey and Hayden's hand prints made into little sheep. I need more magnets for my fridge & freezer!!
I hope your Mother's Day was enjoyable. I thank my family for making this Mother's Day just delightful. I love each of you bunches!!

1 comment:

  1. I love that you have a favorite word! I have a favorite word- sparkle. People look at me like I am crazy when I tell then I have a favorite word. My second favorite is pumpkin, followed closely by turtle!
    I wonder from your web address if purple is your favorite color. Ask my mom, I have always LOVED purple.

    Chiara

    ReplyDelete