Thursday, September 17, 2009

Crabby 2...Interesting Papa Anecdote...

Crabapple Jelly Today I made the crabapple jelly. It took all day. I only expected a couple of hours. Big Guy Clauda helped me and between the 2 of us we managed to get this much jelly made. I now know why we purchase jelly at the store!!! However, buying it at the store is not nearly as satisfying as looking at those jars and knowing your hands and time filled them with jelly.
Papa Anecdote
While making the jelly, Papa called. We learned that he can get his prescription drugs through a mail order system and, if he orders the generic version, he can get them for free. We went through the process of me filling out paperwork and Papa going to his doctor with the paperwork and getting 2 of the prescriptions we needed. Then I mailed the paperwork and today he got his prescriptions. We'll add the third in 90 days when his current supply runs out. I also had him take a paper to his doctor to declare him fit for the walking track at The Pavilion in Georgetown. This is an indoor track and, while he won't use it much while the weather is good, he'll really enjoy it in the winter. He walks 2 miles each day in his neighborhood, 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening. Papa took all his paperwork I filled out and gave it to The Pavilion today, then he walked a mile around the track. As he walked he actually counted the steps around the track. The sign posted by the track reads "It takes 11 1/2 times around the track to walk one mile". The track has 3 lanes. Papa walked 12 times around the track and he tried each lane. As he walked the lanes he counted how many steps it took to go around each lane. When he was finished he had calculated an additional 5 steps between each lane (the middle was 5 steps longer than the inside and the outside was 5 steps more than the middle). When he finished his walk he went by the front desk on his way out and asked the poor kid at the desk which lane they used to come up with the 11 1/2 times around the track to figure 1 mile since there was a difference of 5 steps in each lane. The kid did not know. Imagine that!!! I told Papa they had probably never, in all their years of being in Georgetown, had any person ask them that question. Now go ahead...chuckle...it is amusing!!

2 comments:

  1. My Papa is quite the thinker. LOL! I never would have thought to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have lost track if I was counting that much and would have to start over again every time.
    Ashlyn

    ReplyDelete