Friday, September 4, 2009

Let's Catch Up...

My goodness it feels like forever since I blogged. I read them every day but I haven't written for a bit. So I'll try and catch up with what has happened last Friday's entry. Friday, August 28th - We invited the missionaries over for dinner in the evening. Claude cranked up the smoker and smoked a wonderful beef brisket. He made his soon-to-be-world-famous Moonshine Corn. We had rolls and peas & cheese salad. I made a pie out of vanilla ice cream and lemonade in a graham cracker crust. Papa brought the Elders out and we all sat on the deck and enjoyed one of those great Kentucky summer evenings. It was delightful. Saturday, August 29th - Our stake (Church organization) had 2 big events. One was the end of the summer picnic at Cave Run State Park in Morehead, Kentucky. The other was the Adult Singles Dinner & Dance in Lexington in the evening. Claude and I were invited to attend the Adult Singles Dinner & Dance so our bishop could attend the picnic and help grill food for the masses. This was one excellent dinner. There was roast beef & chicken, mashed potatoes & gravy, homemade rolls, green beans, a chinese slaw salad. We were amused by the caterer bringing iced tea for one of the drinks. They had a nice dance after the dinner and Claude and I even did one of the slow dances. Sunday, August 30th - I did not travel to any of the other wards or branches this Sunday. I actually attended my home ward. They were have their visiting teaching conference so I was extra happy to be there. Jessie Carter, our stake Relief Society photographer, was visiting our ward with her father. She and I got to sit together. She is just a dear friend and I very much enjoyed her company. The visiting teaching conference was superb. As we arrived at the Relief Society room there were refreshments to take with us as we entered the room. They provided grapes, a breakfast bread, cream puffs and water to drink. Jess and I shared a plate. She isn't eating sweets so I took that portion and she enjoyed the grapes. As we entered the room there was a tableau at the front of the room with 3 characters dressed in biblical clothing. After all were in the room our Relief Society President, Cheri Risher, read the story from the New Testament about the Savior and Mary and Martha. As she read the story the characters in the front of the room moved in sequence with the story. When she finished, she asked us what that story had to do with visiting teaching. Bridgett Allen said we should all choose the better part, like Mary did, by doing our visiting teaching. Sis. Risher gave an excellent talk, we had a beautiful music selection, then Mindy Bodmer gave a talk about her feelings about visiting teaching. It was all really touching and uplifting. At one point Jess leaned over to me and said, "My mom is really missing out!" The theme for the program was 'Feed My Sheep'. After all was done they gave us each a folder with uplifting talks about the importance of visiting teaching, some gift ideas for the sisters we visit, a magnet to hang on the fridge to remind us of doing our visiting teaching, and some suggestions to help with visiting teaching. It is all very good stuff. As we left the room we were given our visiting teaching routes and a cupcake decorated with marshmallows to look like a little sheep. Sunday evening Claude had a General Priesthood Meeting at the stake center. I represented both of us at an open house to say good-bye to two of our neighbors who are moving back to Florida. We'll miss Mac & Rick. They have been wonderful neighbors. One night we had a tornado warning siren go off. Mac was on the phone calling all the neighbors to be sure they heard it and that they headed for their basements. She also decorates some of the most beautiful Christmas trees you have ever seen. Rick made us a little map of Eagle Bend when we moved in and labeled each home with the name and phone number of the people living there. I've kept it in my phone book and edit it as people move in. Monday, August 31 - Claude took me into Georgetown to visit Mimi while Papa fed her lunch. Claude headed off to do his errands. After feeding Mimi, Papa took me to his apartment and we practiced music for Wednesday's performance at the nursing home. Claude and I had dinner at Burger King. He had a 2 for 1 coupon. One simply must use those you know. We visited the Brunty family that afternoon. While visiting the Brunty's we realized that this day was my 5th year anniversary for being in Kentucky. I drove to Sadieville on August 31, 2004 and set up an air mattress to take up residence in our new, very empty home. To celebrate this important realization we went to McDonald's and had a McFlurry before heading home for the remainder of the evening. Tuesday, September 1 - This was my day at home. A girl needs this every now and then to try and catch up. I didn't get caught up but I did have a full day of doing things in my home that must be done to keep a home functional. Wednesday, September 2 - My morning was spent at the Homemaker's Club in my neighborhood. I joined this last year and have decided to continue my membership this year. It is a good opportunity for me to visit and get to know some of the other ladies in my community. They meet the 1st Wednesday of each month between September and May. They have a little devotional to start, then a lesson prepared by the county extension office and given by a member in our club, then we cover business, then we have a little lunch together. This time we had salads and desserts. Every one brings something to share and we had a lovely lunch. I hurried home to pack a little overnight bag. In the afternoon I headed to the nursing home to sing with Papa. Mimi was chatty and it is always good to visit with her when she is chatty. I gave her the spearment candy she loves and some pictures from the Parent's magazines that Andie gives me. They have kids pictures and Mimi loves those. After singing with Papa, I helped him get his musical stuff to his car and then headed down the road to La Grange. I got there before time for Hayden and Bailey to go to bed. It was great to get lots of hugs and kisses and play for a bit. Thursday, September 3 - Andie took Hayden for his occupational therapy appointment in the morning. This was his first one and she wasn't sure how long it would last. So Miss Bailey and I had Bailey and Ma playtime while Hayden and Andie were gone. Bailey took a long bubble bath, played with playdough, watched a Little Einstein show while having her morning snack and we played cars. Andie and Hayden brought us sandwiches from Schlotzky's for lunch. Andie headed on to her 2 doctor appointments in the afternoon while Hayden, Bailey and I ate our sandwiches. Then I let them watch a Dora show because they ate sooooo well. I washed dishes and swept the kitchen while they watched their show. Then it was quiet time. Bailey slept. Hayden and I quietly tiptoed downstairs to have quiet time together. Hayden had been concerned he wouldn't get any Ma time with him and Hayden. So I had him come downstairs with the understanding we had to be quiet and still for a while but we could read or watch a show. He picked out a Diego show and we plopped pillows up on the love seat. He snuggled in my arm and I really thought he was going to fall asleep while we watched TV but the little trooper stayed awake. When Diego was over I told him we still had to be quiet a little while longer so we picked out a Sid the Science Kid show and watched it. After it was over we had Hayden's afternoon snack. Then he wanted to go out front and play. We took the monitor and plugged it in on the front porch. Then Hayden taught me how to play tag. Alas, I have to report that I can't out run a 4 year old anymore. But we ran for about a hour. I almost drew the line at jumping like a frog across the front yard but those big old eye and a grin from one ear to the other convinced me I didn't want to miss this moment in time. Andie came home to find us running on the front lawn. I headed home after Bailey woke up. I made two stops for items I needed and can get at stores in Frankfort on my home. I got home to my hubby at about 8pm, tired in a very happy way. Friday, September 4 - Today Claude and discussed how to spend this day. We have been trying to make sure we do some things together. Our lives are very full but they often go in two different directions and we are trying to make a concerted effort to have some time that is just us together. We talked about all we might want to accomplish today. We decided we would both walk our treadmill. Then we got ready and headed out for the day. First we went bowling. I bowled my best game EVER!!! It was even the 3rd game that we bowled. I bowled 166. I had 3 strikes and 4 spares. Claude was amazed. When he paid for our games after we finished the guy kept wanting me to bowl in leagues. He didn't know that it was a fluke (albeit a happy one!) that I scored that high. After bowling Claude dropped me off at the nursing home while he ran errand. Mimi was in bed for her afternoon nap. She was awake and talking to herself so I sat on her bed and talked and giggled a bit. Then she started to fall asleep. I spent some time straightening out her closet and drawers. When she would awake we would visit and then she would drift off to sleep. When Claude got back, we headed to Lexington to pick up plastic bags and stuff for clean-up week in Sadieville. Bluegrass Pride donates these to assist in keeping the Bluegrass area clean. Then we were off to Red Lobster for a late lunch/early dinner. We saw an advertisement on TV for all you can eat shrimp and that is what prompted the Red Lobster adventure. The food was delicious and we managed to coordinate our calendars through the end of the year while we ate. Then we stopped at Lowe's in Georgetown on the way home for some yard care items Claude needed. Whew!! That was my week in review. I spent this evening trying to determine how to handle Claude's birthday outing this year. The Big Guy turns 60 years old in October. Jake was gracious enough to remind me of this. We are planning a family get together over his birthday weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I just thought I would let you know that I love you mom !!!!!!!! Thankyou for catching me up on your week.

    ReplyDelete