Friday, July 23, 2010

The Joy of Seeing & The Silliness of Not Paying Attention...

Wednesday we were able to pick up Katelyn's new glasses. We stopped on the way to the nursing home to have them fitted. It only took a few minutes and we were headed out to the car to get to the nursing home.

When Katelyn got in the sun the lens darkened into sunglasses. She was sooooo excited.
It was fun to watch her enjoy this newfound treasure in her life.

Then it was off to Sonic to get a quick bite before zooming to the nursing home to sing with Papa. We each were going to have a corndog and something to drink. Katelyn had not had lunch after work and before leaving to get her glasses.

There was a bit of a line at the Sonic drive-thru but it moves fairly quickly. So I got in that drive-thru line and we waited our turn. We were chatting away and I just followed the cars in front of me. Katelyn looked at me and said something like, "Gramma, you missed the speaker!"  Sure enough, I drove right past the speaker.  The guy on the speaker said his usual promotional spill and waited for my order. I hollered (sounds more Southern!) back from my driver's side car window, "I drove past your speaker. Can you hear me?" "Yes" he responded. Then I hollered back our order, he gave me a total, and Katelyn and I laughed as I pulled forward one more notch in the line in my car.

As we looked for the correct change to pay for our order, we were both laughing at the silliness of this. Katelyn assured me I was a whacky Gramma and she enjoyed spending time with me. Then she said, "Is this one of those 'kept this and pondered it in her heart' moments?" (This alludes to another of my favorite scriptures where Mary, the mother of Jesus, thinks this in the scriptures. I've said it to Katelyn several times this summer.) I just looked at her and said, "Nope, this is so funny it is 'blog worthy'."

Then we hurried off to the nursing home eating our corn dogs and enjoying our drinks on a very hot afternoon.

Katelyn and I sang with Papa and Katelyn played her violin while Papa played the guitar.

 
It was great fun for Papa, the residents were happy (they love our family moments) and we enjoyed ourselves. It was a good afternoon!



No comments:

Post a Comment