Monday, July 12, 2010

That's Just Not Right...

Sunday I went to Winchester, Kentucky to visit with their Relief Society.  Laura (my counselor) rode with me. We had a wonderful visit, the meetings were all really good, and we were ready to head home feeling really good about our morning.

I unlocked my car with the key ring. Laura opened her door. I went around to the driver's side door and when I opened it with the handle, voila, this is what happened. Mind you, I have enough arthritis issues at this point in my life to have difficulty opening jars. How in the world I ever had enough strength to rip out the handle from the door I'll never, ever, ever, ever know.

I stood there for a second trying to let it register in my head that my door handle was 'not right' in some odd way. I looked to be sure I had not turned into the 'Incredible Hulkette'. No, I wasn't green!! However, there was clearly something not right in what I was looking at.

Then things began to flow through my stunned brain..."I'm in Winchester, Kentucky. What if I can't keep my door closed? What if I close it and can't get it open? I'm planning on a stop at Papa's and one to see Mimi on the way home. How difficult is working with a broken door going to be as I try to accomplish these goals on my way home? Etc., etc., etc.

Laura came around and confirmed the door handle was definitely not right. She is sooooo good to have around. With her confirmation I was beginning to feel like I was out of this 'Twilight Zone' episode.

I went around to the passenger door and had Laura close the driver door. I pushed on it from the inside of the car and it didn't open. I pressed on the lock for the driver's door and it seemed to hold correctly. Then I opened the driver's door a bit so it wasn't closed completely and I got out of the car and went around to the driver's side. Laura climbed in the passenger side, I climbed into the driver's seat, shut my door and locked it. Then we headed out of the parking lot.

Laura suggested Claude might open the back of the door and find a screw that came loose and reconnect it.

I finally got home close to 7pm. I was really late because I spent my afternoon at Papa's cleaning a virus software off his computer that was really a virus itself. I told Claude he should come and check out my car door. He did. He managed to get the handle back into it's slot. He said I should call the dealer and get an appointment to get it fixed.

This morning I did that and Kim had me come in this afternoon to get the new handle fixed. The old one was really kaput!!

Frank Shoop is a car dealer that has always treated me well. I really appreciate them. They are careful with my dollar and honest in their work.  Now my car has a working handle and I'm very happy and feel much more safe driving down the road. I'm still a little tentative when I pull on any of the door handles. That may take a little while to work through.

No comments:

Post a Comment