Tuesday, October 26, 2010

And now, the End is Here...

Sunday, Oct. 24th would be a tender day for me. For the last 4 years I have served with the best of the best as the stake Relief Society presidency for the Lexington North Stake.

My first counselor has been Lisa Adams. I have called her 'Isaiah' at times. This is because she has such great inspiration when it comes to determining how we wanted to do something. She has such a strong testimony of the gospel. Her personal life has been very difficult and she has chosen to make her life into a positive. This has created such a strength in her. She knows who she is and what direction she wants her life to take. I've had to turn things over to her on several occasions to take my place as the president. There was never any concern in doing this. She has been supported in all she has done by her dear hubby David.

My second counselor has been Laura Carter. This dear lady has such a quick mind. I wish I could think that fast on my feet. She has a full life caring for her daughter and her mother. But she doesn't miss a beat in her service in Relief Society. She is a biker chick and that immediately created a bond between us. She has so many talents that quietly came out as she served. She is an artist and can also write beautiful, uplifting pieces of music. She has always been sensitive to my ups and downs and seemed to be able to call when I needed her even without me asking. She has been supported in all she does by her dear hubby Howard.

My secretary has been Barbara Mason. Barbara served as secretary to the previous stake Relief Society president so she has been at this longer than any of the rest of us. Even with those extra years of service she has not slacked or shown any slow down in her service. She has been quick to get our minutes to us so we had our list of assignments to follow through. She has kept a great history book of our 4 years of service. She has also been our rock when it comes to the food planning of any event we did. She just automatically took that roll and went with it. She was always great to travel with to visit the other wards and knows everyone. I could count on her to help me put names and faces together as I tried to learn who everyone was in our stake. She has been supported by W.C. whom we love.

Our photographer has been Miss Jessie Carter. Her mother is Laura, my 2nd Counselor. Jessie is such a sweet, caring person. Her excitement at being called and sustained over the pulpit to this calling was just pure joy to observe. She has dutifully carried her camera on the visits she has been able to make with us and the events she has attended. I can't even imagine the number of photos she has taken during the last 4 years. I have felt uplifted as she would quietly say, "Sandy...I love you!" I just filled my heart to hear those words from such a pure heart. We often commented to each other that we are sisters. We both loved saying and feeling that.

Sunday, Claude, acting in his high councilor role, released our presidency (with a bit of a choked up voice) and presented the new stake Relief Society presidencies names for sustaining vote by the membership. It was a tender moment.

Our presidency has been the best presidency I have ever served in. I've served in a lot of them in the Church. I have truly loved all of them but there was just something about this group of us that was so right at just this time in each of each our lives. Laura's hubby nicknamed us the Stake Relief Society Play Group (SRSPG). That was a great name. I shall be eternally grateful that each of these wonderful women came into my life at just this time. They have been a strength and support. They have loved and cared for me in ways I needed at this particular time in my life. We have laughed together, we have cried together, we have prayed together over our callings and our family issues, we planned training and events together, and we have traveled throughout our stake and visited the sisters in all the wards together. Lots of hours and each was well spent and full of rich blessings.

We are sad to not be serving together. But we have formed strong friendships that will last throughout our lives. I just love these ladies and am very, very, very grateful for each of them and the part they have played in the last four years of my life. Thank you, Heavenly Father, for placing them in my path and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment