Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Rockin' Along...

It has been a while since I was able to sit long enough to complete Blogs. Since this is my journal, I want to catch up on a few of the things I did since October 11th when I made my last real entry.

Tuesday, October 12th Claude and Papa changed shifts with Phyllis Beaman at the Family History Center. As it turned out, Papa was not well that day and I covered his shift with Claude. I had an absolutely wonderful time. I took some books of Mimi's family history with me to start cleaning out and streamlining her things.

Mimi has several books of geneology and there is a LOT of duplication of documents. I sat for 2 1/2 hours and compared family group records and noted the differences on one set of records so that I could toss the extra papers. It was pure delight to read through these names from long ago. Names I don't remember ever hearing before. This is a project I have had in a box in my sewing room for a long time. It has been on my long-term 'to-do' list. So it felt particularly good to actually have this time to focus on this work. I only made a teeny-tiny dent in it but look forward very much to being able to continue this work and then share my final results with my sisters.

Wednesday, October 13th Papa was still under the weather. I took a DVD to the nursing home and shared it with the residents so he could rest. This DVD was Country Music Award winning songs sung by the vocalists who recorded them. When the DVD was finished, Geraldine looked at me and said, "I like that country music."  Ah...the reward for going every week to sing for these good people who are finishing out their days in this nursing home.

Thursday, October 14th I was able to go to Cincinnati to pick up my neighbor, Nancy Bracken. She took a trip to Albuquerque to visit her son and his family. Nancy is a sweetheart who lost the love of her life last Memorial Day weekend. It was good to see her take this trip and visit her family. It was great fun to ride home and have a chance to visit. We have wonderful neighbors in Sadieville.

Friday, October 15th my extra activities were to get a hair cut in the afternoon and attend the GOP Picnic in the evening.

Getting a haircut is always a treat. Tyra is my hairdresser and she grew up in Sadieville. Her shop is called "Main Street Retreat" and it is located on Main Street right here in Sadieville. I just love visiting with her.

In the evening Claude and I headed to Brookings Park in Georgetown. The GOP Picnic was actually held in one of the exhibit buildings for the fair. One of the highly contested races for office is Andy Barr running against Ben Chandler for US Representative. He spoke to us as did Ryan Quarles who is running for State Representative against Charlie Hoffman, the long standing incumbent.  Also in attendance was Mayor Karen Tingle-Sames, Georgetown Mayor running for re-election. I met the man running for Governor on the Republican ticket next time. There was also a guest there to speak in behalf of Rand Paul. He was a Retired General and his last name was 'Storm'. I truly thought that was a great name for a military general.

The fund-raiser they do at each of these picnics is to auction off cakes. Before the event started Claude and mosied on up to the cake table to check out the selection of cakes this year. We found a really cute one with an elephant decorating the top. We both knew this was the cake we would bid on. We often tell to Hayden and Bailey when we go to a GOP function it is an 'elephant party'. Claude bid on and won the elephant cake. We were headed to LaGrange the next day and the cake would come with us to have a mini-elephant party with Hayden and Bailey. Hayden loves elephants.
Saturday, October 16th we started our day in Georgetown. This month it is the High Priests turn to clean the church building. So we started our day helping with cleaning the church.

Then we were off to LaGrange. Our evening was to be spent in Louisville, so we asked if we could spend some time with Hayden and Bailey during the day. We met them at the park close to their home after picking up some chicken for a picnic for lunch. A great deal of time was spent find acorns and filling our pockets with them.

Checking out trees was a great deal of fun. We even put some of the acorns back by hiding them like Easter eggs for the squirrels to find. I assure you that lightened the load of acorns in my pockets quite a bit.
This Miss Bailey realized there was a pond. She really needed to find Nemo, a shark and a alligator in there. So we headed out for a hike around the edge of the lake to see out aquatic life.
After a fun lunch and play at the park, it was time to head to the Marx abode for a bit before quiet time. We had our elephant party for dessert with the cake, read a train story about a little engine named Sadie, and then the Mini's and Claude headed for a nap or just to be quiet for a bit.

We stayed for just a bit after quiet time. Hayden put in Toy Story for us to watch. When Claude and I left, I rolled down the window of my car and yelled out to Hayden, Bailey & Andie standing on the front porch waving good-bye, "To Infinity and Beyond!!"  Hayden went into squeels of glee over that phrase. And as we drove to the end of the street I could hear Hayden still yelling it right back at Claude and me.

Our plan for the evening was to begin with dinner in Red Robin. We headed to where we thought Red Robin was but didn't find it till too late. We ended up eating quickly at Arby's. Since we had a chicken picnic and since Claude and I are both 'one big meal a day' people, Arby's ended up being the better deal. As we sat in Arby's I looked out the window by me and found Red Robin down the curve in a road. Now we know for next time and we really ended up with the better meal for us that particular day.

Next we headed into Louisville to the very new Yum Center. This is a huge new arena in Louisville right along the river. The show that night was the Eagles.

That's right folks, we were off to see the Eagles again. This time we had seats on the floor. They were excellent seats. My only beef was with the people in front of us. They were right in front of me and they decided they needed to have a conversation. Now, if you come to a concert, you should sing along, clap along, sway with the music, whatever...but you do not need to come to have a conversation while others are trying to listen to a band that cost a little bit to see. Plus, when you are at a concert the music in LOUD and you can't have a conversation without yelling it to each other. I have two very favorite Eagle songs. The first one of them the Eagles sang that night was by Timothy B. Schmidt called "Love Will Keep Us Alive". It is the best one he does and I love to sing along. This is when the couple in front really decided to converse because, evidently, it was not their favorite song. At one point I put my hands out like I was ready to grab something and looked at Claude and motioned that I was going to crack their heads together. Other than that one episode, the audience was great, the music was great and we just had a wonderful time. There is something really very filling about being in a huge arena and everyone singing along with the actual band they all enjoy so much.

We were very surprised to see it was midnight when they finished the concert. We headed back to Sadieville and got home at 2am. Sunday's alarm at 6:30am came way...too...early!!

No comments:

Post a Comment