Sunday, October 3, 2010

God's Handiwork...

Saturday evening I was invited to attend a baby shower in Georgetown. I decided to be fashionably late. You know, at least 5 or 10 minutes so you are not the first one there. So as I left my home I was already needing to get on down the road.

I pulled out onto Highway 32 outside our housing development. I looked to my left to be sure no traffic was coming. There had been a litttle shower before I left home and the sky was still very gray in that direction. But there was a distinct rainbow out there. I was amazed to see how vivid the colors were. I also noted at the bottom of the end of the rainbow the faint outline of a second rainbow. It was just gorgeous.

I found my cell phone and called home as I drove down Highway 32 to tell Claude to go outside and look at this amazing display in our Sadieville sky. I headed down the highway.

Highway 25 joins Highway 32 less than a mile from our home. When I got to that intersection and looked up and down Highway 25 I realized we had a full-arch to our rainbow. The sun was shining a bit more and the view of this rainbow was outstanding.

I hurried on up Highway 25 and turned to where Highway 32 crosses I-75. I found a parking spot, pulled the hood of my jacket over my head, and grabbed my cell phone to take pictures. My camera was at home and I only had my cell phone to record this.

In my head I'm thinking of how late I'm going to be to this shower. Not fashionable any more but REALLY late. Suddenly I realized I really didn't care. This was a moment in time that I wanted to enjoy and I was going to pause in the rush that life is and enjoy this moment and this beautiful gift after a rain.

I must note that two of my neighbors stopped their cars to check on me as I was stopped. They were concerned I was having car trouble. How thoughtful to have neighbors that care. I assured them I was having no trouble but I was enjoying this magnificent view.

The rainbow was too big for me to get the entire arch in the picture. You'll just have to take my word for it. At the base of each end of the arch there was clearly (albeit faintly) a double arch in view.

Here are some of my cell phone pictures of this spectacle.


The first two pictures were taken on Highway 32. The last picture was taken from I-75.

I was happy I paused to enjoy this beauty. I'm grateful for these tender mercies. There is just so much that is beautiful and we really miss a lot of it trying to keep up that pace of life. I am grateful to be reminded again that it is okay and wise to stop...pause...and appreciate and enjoy these gifts from above.

No comments:

Post a Comment