Monday, November 22, 2010

Random Items...

So, this evening I don't feel clever enough to think of a cute title for this Blog.

Thursday evening, November 18th Claude and I attended the Scott County Historical Society's annual banquet and election of officers. Also attending from Sadieville were our City Clerk, Cindy Foster, and her hubby, Billy, as well as Loni Friddle and Don Piggins. Cindy, Loni and I all serve on the board of the Friends of Sadieville Renaissance.

The dinner was held at Georgetown College and the food was provided by them. This is the second meal we have eaten at this particular location on the Georgetown College campus. The menus are always a little a bit braver than hotel meeting fare. This time we had a nice little green salad. The interesting thing was their choice of having two cucumber slices on the top of each salad plate. One top of each cucumber slice was a half of a cherry tomato. It just looked like two eyes looking at me. I shared this observation with my hubby, big mistake. Claude moved his to the side so they would look like ears. I have to say that only made them look like the eyes of the sloth in the Ice Age movies.

Our second course was not to my liking at all. It was a cooked portabella mushroom smothered with a large slice of red bell pepper and melted cheese on top. I am not a mushroom eater. I can take a little on a pizza or in a recipe but to just eat a mushroom as a dish...it is just not happening. Claude enjoyed two of these dishes as he ate his and mine.

Our main course was chicken, mashed potatoes and steamed carrots with a creamy broth on them. I enjoyed all of this, especially the carrots. I'm really a veggie lover. However, it turns out Billy is allergic to chicken. His allergy started with eggs and progressed to chicken. I had never heard of an allergy to chicken. I had heard of an allergy to eggs.

Dessert was a wonderful cheese cake.

Friday, November 19th, my former stake Relief Society presidency was to have all gone to the temple together. When we were released in October, we all determined we still wanted to make this temple trip.

Laura was not able to participate for a most excellent reason. Her daughter had her first baby and Laura was playing Gramma.

Claude also did not get to go with us. He got up Friday morning, I thought all was well, I went to my sewing room to do some things. I came back upstairs at 10am to find Claude under a blanket on the sofa in the living room. I assured my dear hubby that 10am is a little early to begin a nap. Then he informed me he didn't feel well.

I left about noon to go to Georgetown to take care of my parents. When I returned at 5pm the only thing that had changed with Claude was his head was at a different end of the sofa. I asked him how he was doing and he just looked at me and mournfully said, "I hurled." He was really not doing well. That meant no temple trip for him. I told him I would cancel and stay with him. He assured me he was going to be sick whether I was there or not and to go enjoy my 'Play Group'.

So I headed to Louisville by myself and had a wonderful evening with Lisa, David, Barbara and WC. We ended our evening at Dairy Queen for a quick dessert and some fun conversation. I got home at midnight. Claude had moved to the bed. I felt particularly bad for him. He did have any meetings on Friday and was going to have a day of doing anything but Mayor stuff. Well, he didn't do Mayor stuff but he didn't do any of the fun things he wanted to do either.

Saturday we just stayed in. It was a quiet day. Claude started moving around and in the afternoon started eating again. He was on the mend. Yippee!!

Sunday Claude was out the door for Church meetings beginning a 7am and didn't get home till in the evening. We have definitely swapped rolls. Now I'm the one home and he is one the road on Sunday's. He did have a good day and felt good all day.

I had a tender visit with my mom again. I go to visit her during Sunday School time on Sunday's. This time I took my Ensign and read two talks to her. She held my hand and seemed to look at a few of the pictures. When it was time for me to go back to Church for Relief Society, I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her well, then gave her a big kiss and told her "I love you mom." She looked up at me and mumbled the beginning of each word in this phrase back to me "I love you too." Then she grinned and the moment was gone. Such a sweet moment. Each of these tender moments is what I want to remember about this experience.

I enjoyed a brief visit with Papa at his apartment after Church and choir practice. He had a new pair of pants that was too long so we pinned them so I can hem them for him. (Boy that sentenced ended with a lot of h_m words. Jake is probably freaking out reading that one!!)

Today has been very full and will be through the evening getting things ready for this Thanksgiving week.

We spent the morning accomplishing computer stuff, doing Papa's laundry, and some cleaning.

This afternoon we headed to Lexington. I placed an item on hold at Barnes & Noble for Claude for Christmas. I needed to pick it up and today was the only day I could do that. So we made an outing of it. First, we dropped off Papa's laundry. Second, to Lexington and lunch at Chicago Pizza. Third, Claude waited in the car while I went into Barnes & Noble. I got his item, the Angels and Demons DVD and a CD of Enya doing Christmas type music (which I'm enjoying now). Next we stopped at Staples to get paper and ink cartridges and the numerous other things we found that really seemed to be needful. Claude and I are suckers for an office supply store. Two more stops in Lexington included trying out Culver's Frozen Custard and filling up the Jeep with gas at Walmart.

Now we were off to Georgetown to pick up dry cleaning and buy the groceries for this Thanksgiving. Then the drive home.

Whew!!! A full day that is not quite finished. Laundry is going, I've got some computer work to finish and some ironing to do. I hope to talk Claude into a movie tonight instead of the inane stuff we now have on TV. I'm wanting to watch Angels & Demons and The DaVinci Code again.

Funny how life just fills up, even when one is supposed to be 'retired'. Retired just means the things you are filling your life with are a little different than when you work.

Oh, my Enya CD just played the last song. It was a beautiful rendition of 'Silent Night' in Celtic. How pleasant to the ear that was. I was not going to list to Christmas music until after Thanksgiving but...it is a new CD...I really enjoy Enya...and...I'm 60 years old and can do what I want most of the time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment