Thursday, November 18, 2010

Un-Irked...

Last night as Claude and I were watching Criminal Minds, we spoke of my Facebook issue during the commercial. I had my laptop upstairs so that, during the show, I could take the things I needed off the stake calendar and put them on Outlook to go to my Blackberry. I stopped what I was doing and decided to try Facebook again.

I was amazed that it came up. It was very slow coming on the screen but, none-the-less, it came up. I made sure my settings were all the same and the stuff I put on there was still what I had originally put there. It appears all is as I left it.

This morning I received a little notice from Facebook stating an apology for disabling my Facebook in error and causing an inconvenience.  I'm just stating for the record, "I accept their apology. I'm happy to have my good name restored. And I look forward to seeing some more fun thoughts and pictures on Facebook."

I do want to acknowledge that Jake's statement is also accurate. He said, "A true friend will know how to get in contact with you without Facebook." Jake is on target there. The thing with Facebook is that we can find some of those friends that we have lost touch with over the many years of our lives. I was grateful that,as I added a friend to my Facebook, I saved their eMail address in a Word file so I could stay in touch with them at Christmas and as needed through the year, if I couldn't get on Facebook for some reason.

I can't help but reflect on my early years of marriage. This was before home computers of any kind. This was when the only phones were land lines. This was when we only had 'snail mail' or 'Western Union' if you needed to get a message faster. Somehow we managed to live with that.

How did we do it?

There was the fun attempt at a 'Family Chain Letter'. I would write a letter and mail it to my sister. She would add her pages and mail all of them to our other sister. She would add her pages and mail all of that to my parents. They would add their pages and remove my pages and send the remaining pages to me. Then I would add my pages, remove my sister's pages and mail the bundle to her and it would continue round after round until we all finally gave out.

All our letters were just that, letters, handwritten (or typed, if you were lucky enough to own a typewriter). For that matter typewriters were just beginning to be electric. They were just coming out with a white paper you could put in there and type over a typo to white it out.

I just read a book about the future and it spoke of no telephone booths. I haven't checked but I wonder if those are becoming obsolete also on the streets. I know they are still in airports. I'll have to look for that and see how many are still out there by gas stations and such.

Now we go to the airport and there are machines with plugs for every kind of cell phone or PDA you can think of that you can pay a fee for 30 minutes to charge your phone.

Oh well, enough rambling about the past and this current 'thing' called Facebook. I'm just happy I can quickly send a note to a friend on Facebook again.

No comments:

Post a Comment