Wednesday, November 3, 2010

This morning I hosted our Countryside Homemakers Club. I've been a member about  two years now and this was the first time I've hosted the club in my home.

We have a lesson each month chosen by the Scott County Extension Office after surveying all the members of all the Homemaker's Clubs in our area. This month's lesson was about cooking in crock-pots.

As the hostess, you prepare the main dish and the guests bring a side dish or dessert of their own choosing to compliment the main dish you provide. Since our lesson was on crock-pot cooking, I picked my Chicken Ole recipe and did that in my crock-pot. It is like chicken enchiladas only made in layers instead of rolling everything in the tortilla. To supplement this, I made beef enchiladas and baked them in the oven. I made a double batch of each so I would have some for meals when the Marx family comes this weekend and because my hubby loves enchiladas.

We each brought our favorite crock-pot recipe and I copied them for everyone to take home.

After our meal, I taught the ladies to make a craft I learned at our Relief Society Retreat last year. They are little gift bags made out of 12 x 12 inch scrapbook paper. The ladies really enjoyed making these little bags. We are donating two bundles of them for the auction they have in December for new members.

It was great fun to have these ladies in my home. I totally enjoyed their company. I truly believe they each had a good morning as well.

This afternoon Claude drove me to Georgetown to sing with Papa at the nursing home. He had errands to run while I was singing. I was sooooo very tired, it was really nice to have him doing the driving.

As we drove home I noticed that the 'gardens of signs' are disappearing. I learn a lot about the candidates by how well they remove all the signage that goes up for an election. Claude was out this morning collecting his signs while we had the Homemaker's Club meeting at the house. I truly believe that a person who cleans up those signs quickly is probably a lot more responsible than one who leaves their signs till someone else picks up for them. It's a little thing but I think it says a lot about the character of the candidates.

Now the Big Guy and I are home for a very quiet evening. I'm going to play on my computer and Claude is going to read his papers, we'll watch a little TV and graze on whatever is in the fridge. I love a quiet evening after a full day of work. It is just the perfect reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment