Saturday, April 7, 2012

Officially Old...

Somehow, when you turn 55 and they send you an AARP application it seems like you are beginning to age. However, my 50's were the best decade of my life. Not sure why but I truly enjoyed them. I joked about being old and I felt it in the joints and gray hair but really I felt younger than my 50+ years mentally and enthusiastically.

Then I hit 60 and realized I was truly aging. Again, I can't really explain it but I definitely could tell a marked difference.

Claude and I started talking about our social security and when we should file. You can file at 62 but if you wait a few years longer you can get a few more dollars each month. When we plotted retirement we factored the social security income as a pay raise to our retirement.

Claude and I were talking last night and he told me he applied for his social security. I was impressed. We discussed how easy it was filing on-line.

This morning Claude got a phone call from the Social Security Administration. I answered it in the basement and took the phone upstairs to Claude. Then I went back downstairs to work. I was surprised when he came down with the phone in his hand for me.

It seems, during his discussion with the nice lady at the Social Security Administration, she realized I would be eligible to file in a few months. She could actually complete my application over the telephone if I wanted to do that. I assured her I intended to file at 62. So she took my information and that was that!!!

Goodness, I'm officially old and going to being to get social security. It seems like something way in the future and now it will be a reality in a few months. So be gentle with me and patient and kind and understanding. Allow me the privilege of moving a little slower as I continue to accomplish things. I'm old but there is still a lot of life in this 'old girl'.

No comments:

Post a Comment