Wednesday, April 18, 2012

They're Back...

Hayden and Bailey started their Spring Break Easter weekend and it would go through the week following Easter. Andie has made a point of bringing them over for a couple of days during their Spring Break. Monday (April 9th) and Tuesday (April 10th) were the days for their visit this year. They would head back home Wednesday.

What a difference two little ones make in this home!!  They hit the ground running after their car ride and just fill up a day in the most wonderful way.

Bailey found the box of barrettes in the guest bedroom and proceed to fix her own hair and add several barrettes to the style.
Hayden also impressed us with his Cub Scouting skills. He just advanced from Tiger to Wolf. He asked for a rope. Claude got one from the garage. Hayden assured Claude it was too short. So Claude headed out to get a longer rope. Then Hayden laid it out in a figure 8 and proceeded to make a square knot out of it. He also used one of my exercising bands to make another knot. I can't remember what he called it but Claude told him Grampa Evan called it a half-hitch.

I purchased some Lego-like toys and the kids and I worked on putting them together.

They both had a good round of fun in the big tub with the water jets going.

Papa came out Monday night and visited. He enjoyed reading through the album I just finished of our January cruise. He read every single page and enjoyed the pictures (99 pages of text and pictures). He laughed out loud at the picture of the cemetery in the center of town. Our tour guide told us it was the 'dead center of town'. I had labeled that picture accordingly and Papa got a real laugh out of it.

Kite flying filled a part of the afternoon as well. I was so pleased I could get my left arm up enough to help get the kite in the air. That is really progress for my left shoulder and it truly felt great. Something I was taking for granted and now will recognize every time how great movement is. They kids loved holding the kite and trying to chase and catch it. Tiny just enjoyed running the hill with them.

Monday night we asked the kids where they wanted to sleep. They both said they wanted to sleep in the basement. Wonder of wonders!! They have done this before but it was when Aubrey and Paul were down there with them throughout the night. This time they would be staying down there just the two of them. Now, our basement is a welcoming place but for a little kid that is a good distance from the adult protective figures in their lives. They made it through that night just fine. We were duly impressed.

Tuesday was our full day to play. We started with Hayden's favorite breakfast of cinnamon rolls. I also scrambled some eggs and fried up some bacon.

I'm trying to clean out the shelves in the storage that hold my seminary materials. In doing that I determined to empty out the big ziplock bags of items I used as clues for scripture mastery. I had a bag of these items upstairs and used it for our game in the morning. Hayden and Bailey each took an item from the bag and placed it in front of them. Once the bag was empty each was given a minute or so to think up a story or play using the items they took out of the bag. Then I made a video of each of them telling their story. By the end of Bailey's exceptionally long story, they were playing with the items together. I think we could call that a success.

While Andie got her shower, the Mini's and I looked for another way to channel their energy. I looked around the room and found the throw rugs I made for in front of the sink and in front of the stove. Hmmm...two rugs and two kids. Just right. We proceeded to have rug races. Amazing how much fun that can be.

We had a good day, a little cool but great otherwise. So we headed to Sadieville's park to play.
Bailey and Hayden learned to play on the teeter-totter together. I thought Andie would have heart failure trying to get them to understand they couldn't just get off when they wanted to. They needed and adult to steady the opposite end so that the other person wouldn't go flying through the air. It took a few times but they finally got the hang of doing that. It was delightful watching them. Hayden would get Bailey up in the air and she would bounce and laugh. As Bailey so dearly puts it, "I yuv to yalf!"
Hayden also taught Bailey how to go down the fireman's pole.
Hayden was totally enjoying climbing the outside of this yellow slide. I did get him to pause long enough for a good picture though.
Another one of Hayden's goals was to practice riding his bike. He made three laps around the track at the park. Yeah Hayden!!
While Hayden did his third lap, Bailey and I took a little hike across the park and down by the creek. The fence had been pulled down and we could walk where I had never walked before. I was able to get pictures of the bridge over Luke Road.
Bailey also picked a few wild flowers to take back to Andie. She hid them behind her back as she ran across the park to give them to her.
When we got back, Hayden and Andie had finished Hayden's lap and were having a nice chat waiting for our return.
We called Claude and asked him to meet us at the caboose. He came with snacks in hand. He unlocked the caboose and the kids had fun climbing in, around, under and through the caboose.

When the Mini's were officially worn out, Claude said he would pay them each if they would help him with a chore at the house. There was an affirmative response on the part of the Mini's. So we all headed back to the house.

Claude's chore was to help him spread some mulch around the bench on the hill.
After finishing their work, Claude gave them each a turn sitting on top of one of his tree stumps. The fun of country living. These are big ticket kinds of entertainment.
They got a little ride in the Jeep. Since we don't have car seats in it they don't usually get to do anything but sit in the Jeep. They are a bit older and I'm guessing Andie must have said yes, so Claude took them down the hill and up and down the flat and then back up the hill. You can tell they enjoyed it by the look on Hayden's face.
Wednesday was head home day. We had the morning together and then the Marx van headed to Louisville for lunch with Michael.

One little thing happened that I'll treasure for a very long time. Hayden was curled up on my lap and we were hugging each other. I could hug hard or long enough for this young man. He looked up at me at one point and said, "I wish I was glued to you."  Later in the visit I watched and heard him do and say the same thing with Andie. I love hugs. So happy he loves hugs that much.

It was a fun visit. Thanks for including us in your Spring Break. Let's do that again next year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment