Saturday, April 28, 2012

A Really Good Day...

The title of this Blog entry about says it all. Once and in a while you just have one of those days that you enjoy and you feel satisfied and good about at the end. The amazing thing it that it is not really full of overwhelmingly outstanding events. It just feels good all day long. Last Wednesday was one of those days for me.

The morning was filled with getting my exercise for my arm done, some computer stuff completed and my ironing done.

In the middle Claude and I put on our Sadieville T-shirts and headed into Georgetown in separate cars to participate in the Start Walk event. It is an annual thing. They block off the courthouse square and booths are set up that have to do with good health. Then you may participate in one or more of the walks that are set to start from the courthouse. We choose the green walk. We signed in and picked up our T-shirt. Then we were off at a leisurely pace to walk down Main Street, then up around Georgetown College and back to Main Street. We ended our walk with lunch at Subway. After a nice walk those sandwiches tasted great.

Claude and I parted ways then. I had some gift shopping to complete and some ladies to visit.

I ended my afternoon at the nursing home with my parents. I put some new clothes in my mom's closet that I purchased for her the day before.  Then Papa and I entertained the residents with that pickin' and grinnin' we do every Wednesday afternoon..

Afterward I headed back to Sadieville where Claude eventually met me. We changed into nicer clothing, hopped in the Jeep and were off to a Bluegrass ADD quarterly dinner meeting.

They had two speakers on their program that night. One was particularly outstanding. She had been a captain on a UK women's basketball team (I think I have that sport right). She had a college education and at some point made that tragic decision to try drugs. This led to more bad decisions and eventually felony charges and a 10 year prison sentence. Quite a downward spiral for this lady.

She is African-American and began her address by rising from her round table, where she had eaten dinner, and walking to the podium while singing a beautiful spiritual kind of song. I didn't know the name of it. I'm a lover and appreciator of this kind of music and she had my attention immediately. It is just such fun music to harmonize with even if you don't know the piece of music. I found myself humming a bit of harmony quietly with her.

Then she told her story and what she had been hired by Bluegrass ADD to do. The program takes about 12 prisoners that are being released from prison and helps them find housing and then trains them to work. They have many classes they can be trained in. Then they help them find a job. Their success rate is 100% of the prisoners NOT returning to prison. What a great program!! What a great use of money and time and energy!! They work with faith-based community programs which is a huge help. We gave this speaker a standing ovation and tears were flowing freely.

As we drove home, I said to Claude, "This has just been a good day."  He whole-heartedly agreed.

I guess there are many days that have ups and downs. These truly help me appreciate a day that is just full of good things. For I will hold that day in memory as I deal with the up and down days. This is a blessing and one of Heavenly Father's tender mercies in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment