Thursday, May 3, 2012

Digging Post Holes...

I'm sitting at my computer this morning editing my Great Steamboat Race pictures. My mum-in-law comes down the stairs and states she is going to watch Claude dig post holes. I acknowledged her comment and kept on editing. I really wanted to get my pictures in order first and then finish my notes for my Sunday School lesson I will teach this Sunday.

After continuing my editing for a bit it all started to sink in. Claude is working on making a path down our hill that our Jeep and the tractor can go down. It would also be something we could walk down. He purchased, several years ago (this is an on-going project), two horse heads like you would find on a horse hitching post. He also purchased two boards on which to mount the heads. He had done the mounting of those horse heads and placed them on the lower deck to the house this spring. Today he was going to dig the holes and put these posts in the ground. Realization...I was missing a photo op while I was editing my pictures. Geez!!!

I quickly put on my chunky shoes I keep in the basement to wear on the hill. Then I grabbed my camera and headed down the hill. This is what I found...
Clearly I missed the diggin' part because the posts were in the ground. But Claude had done a good work, Bonnie was proud of her boy, and I still was able to get some fun pictures. I'd call that a win all the way around.

Just so you have a feel for our 'hill', this is a view from between the posts looking up the hill to our home.
The path will come between the fir trees on the left of this picture at the top of the hill, curve in front of the retaining wall Claude has built out of the gray bricks and then curve down and exit between these posts. It will be very nice when he finishes, sometime in the future. It is so wearing to stand and work on the slope in this hill till I feel no rush for him to do this in a hurry.

Claude filled in the post holes. This picture gives you a little feel of the flat down by the creek. We own the empty lot next to us and the land down to and half way into the creek.
I left Claude and Bonnie to finish up and I wandered back up our hill. Claude would bring Bonnie back up in the Jeep. I think she walked down after he was down at the bottom of the hill working. Amazing!!!

These few pictures will give you a feel for our hill and what we have done with it over the almost 8 years we have lived in Kentucky.

These are my flower beds that I posted about weeding and being full of grass. Claude cleared the hill and outlined the bed several years ago. We have planted a few things over these years. Andie gave me lots of plants this spring and most of them are beginning to take hold. If they can grow here, they are hearty souls. They'll be so lovely as the plants spread out and fill in.
This is a view of the iris bed up the hill to our home. The irises we brought back from Claude's sisters in Utah. Claude built the retaining wall with rocks off our property and added a bench for our resting and viewing pleasure.
One last picture of Claude and Bonnie and Claude's horse head posts to mark the end of what will one day be a path down 'our hill'.
It is certainly a lot of work but it is just a beautiful place to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment