Friday, October 26, 2012

I Don't Wanna Grow Up...

There is always a little kid in each of us...and it loves to burst out and enjoy the moment.

Thursday night we had a wonderful Institute class. We spent an hour and a half on the trials and crucifixion of Jesus. We used all four Gospels and read the story start to finish in segments. I shared pictures I took in Israel of some of the sites we studied, insights about practices of the day, a map study of the places in our lesson, the background of characters in the story and many other things.

However, I asked at the beginning that each student concentrate on new things they learned or feelings the had as we read or how the record shows us lessons we can apply in our own lives today. Then I wanted and hoped they would share those feelings with each of us. I assured them, if they did not participate in this fashion, we would be done in 30 minutes. We all had a chuckle.

We began our reading and the verses I chose during my preparation that covers each part of the story. We read each part separately. These were the individual sections of the story we read and discussed after each reading: arrest in Gethsemane; before Anna; before Caiaphas; Peter's denial; before the Sanhedrin again; Judas hanging; then to Pilate; next to Herod Antipas; back to Pilate; sentencing; scourging; and crucifixion. Lots of ground to cover. It didn't take long before they were each willing to share insights, knowledge they treasured from previous study, ways to apply the teachings in our lives and the list goes on. It was a wonderful time together and that hour and a half passed way too quickly.

I bore my testimony. Brenna called on a closing prayer. Allison's prayer was very tender. Then...

I asked them to stay seated just a minute after the prayer. Each week I bring a sweet treat for them to eat as we mingle, put away tables and chairs and I pack up my gear and lock doors. Thursday night, since I wouldn't see them again before Halloween, I made each of them a little Halloween treat bag with 8 little pieces of candy. I picked up my big bag full of their little bags and apologized for ruining such a beautiful spirit in the class. Then I told them I had a Trick-or-Treat bag for each of them. I heard from their mouths a collective 'awww!!!'.  Suddenly they were kids again and you would have thought they were receiving the moon. I just chuckled and gave eacy young adult their Trick-or-Treat bag and immediately heard them opening to check what kind of candy treats they got. It was just pure fun.

I just want to remember that life is to be filled with all the wonderful positive emotions and experiences we can pack in it. What a joy it was to share with these young people the peace the Spirit brings when we study the word of God. And I also want to remember the joy brought by a little bag of candy at a fun time of year. I'm blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment