Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Yellow and White...

Once upon a time...

I was perusing the yarn aisle in a store and checking all those free crochet patterns that come with yarn. I found a baby afghan pattern that struck me as possibly fun to do. I took one off the tablet and tucked it in my purse to bring home and keep just in case it turned out to be the right needlework project for me to do some time.

Once upon another time...

I was perusing the yarn aisle in WalMart and came across a big ball of yellow soft yarn for $2. Hmmm...that is my kind of deal. So I plopped the big ball of yellow soft yarn into my shopping cart and purchased it. Then I took it home and kept it just in case it turned out to be the correct yarn for the right needlework project for me to do sometime.

Once upon the next time...

I was cleaning out my craft/sewing/computer/whatever room closets and realized I had a big ball of white soft yarn that I had not used. The 'wheels in my head went turn, turn, turn' and I remembered the first 'once upon a time' and a crochet pattern that intrigued me and I remembered the second 'once upon a time' and a big ball of yellow soft yarn and all the stars went into alignment, peace was in my universe and I knew I was given the tools needed to make something beautiful.

However, I didn't have anyone for whom I needed to make a baby afghan.  I determined that just didn't matter. I would make it and enjoy the opportunity to not make something with a deadline but just for the pure joy of creating. I set to work.

Then I was called to teach Institute and two of my students are newly weds and they are due to have their first baby the end of October.  There was the place for this afghan to go. This week I finished the afghan so I can take it Thursday evening and give it to this cute young couple for their very first baby.

Wanna see the afghan...I thought so...Here it is...
It is a series of really interesting squares in alternating rows of yellow and white yarn. There are 24 squares the have white edges and 25 squares that have yellow edges. You put them in strips of 7 alternating colors and then put the strips of 7 together so those edges have alternating colors making a square blanket. The edge in the pattern was not to my liking so I played around and came up with this border.

My creative side must now focus on getting through Christmas. But man alive it was fun to make this afghan, very, very time consuming, but so much fun. Even Claude pronounced it beautiful and he's a guy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment