Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Update the Blog...

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Claude invited Papa and I to travel with him to Owingsville for Church. It was a beautiful day and a beautiful ride. A little cold but a great day. Claude had meetings in Lexington right after so I drove to Papa's and picked him up and then we met Claude at the Stake Center in Lexington. Claude then drove us to Owingsville. After we left Claude in Lexington, I took Papa to his apartment where we picked out music for Wednesday at the nursing home. I put on jeans at Papa's apartment for my outing on my way home. It was 2nd Sunday in Georgetown. The Scott County Extension office does this every year to promote being active and having good health. They block off the streets around Georgetown College and you walk them. To support Connie Minch, the Executive Director of the Scott County Extension Office, I participated this year. It was a lovely walk with fall leaves coming down all around as the wind blew. As I rounded the last corner of this huge rectangular walk, I noted the 2 policemen with their car and the fire truck blocking the road for those participating in the walk. I asked them if they were strategically placed at this last turn since that was where the most heart attacks would occur for the walkers. We all got a chuckle. Then I headed home for a quiet evening doing quiet things the rest of the day.

Monday, October 29, 2012

We had Papa bring the four missionaries in our ward out to our home for dinner Monday night. We fixed chicken enchiladas, Spanish rice, chuncky veggie salad and a new kind of cornbread. The cornbread had cream corn in it and onions. We opted out of putting the jalapenos in it. We used Claude's coupon and got an ice cream cake for dessert. Yummy meal and the missionaries enjoyed it. Papa likes being the chauffeur.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Claude and I served at the Family History Center. It was one wet, cold day. We had no patrons but had been told someone was coming that day at 1pm. The policy is our shift is from 10am to 2pm. If no one is there by 1:30pm we can close up and head home. We closed up at 1:30 and just as we were about to lock the door the missionaries from Nicholasville came in. It turns out they were the ones who were to have arrive at 1pm. Bless their hearts they were on bikes and one of their bikes broke down. We opened everything back up and showed them what was available. They have several people they are teaching that are interested in their genealogy.

After spending a half hour with them, we made our way to Panera Bread for lunch. We placed our order and I took our cups to fill them with soda. Claude paid and picked out a table for us to sit. When I got to the table our order was ready so Claude went to pick it up. While he was gone I looked around and realized we were in a very 'connected' place. Almost everyone had a laptop or cell phone or tablet of some kind that they were working on. Not to feel like a sore thumb I pulled my Blackberry from my purse and set it on our table. Claude got a chuckle when I explained to him how I was helping us fit into our surroundings.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 - Halloween

I spent the morning visiting teaching Linda Speakes. I love visiting with Linda and her family. We talked for about 1 1/2 hours.

I spent the afternoon singing with Papa at the nursing home.

In the evening I put on my long time favorite Halloween sweater, Claude filled the pumpkin plate with candy and turned on the lights. Then we settled in to give our Halloween candy. We had a record 21 Trick-or-Treaters this year. This was the most ever in our 8 years of living in Kentucky. Claude kept the count and I handed out the candy.

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Institute night. I baked Snickerdoodles for their treat this time. When I taught seminary my practice was to take my glass pumpkin cookie jar and fill it with Snickerdoodles. Then we would do scripture mastery games that morning in seminary and enjoy lots and lots of Snickerdoodles. I told the young adults they were getting Snickerdoodles because I was waxing nostalgic. Trust me...they were very happy. I have now learned that Snickerdoodles and Krispy Kreme donuts are two of the best treats for them after Institute.

Friday, November 2, 2012

This day found me baking more Snickerdoodles. The Georgetown-Scott County Museum was having an open house for all their members for a special viewing of the Political Memorabilia Exhibit they have through the end of November. Claude is on the board so I was asked to make cookies. I was on a Snickerdoodle roll.

We attended the invitation only Grand Opening of the exhibit on Sunday, September 30th after Church. I was in a hurry to get home that day so I left my hubby doing his member of the board duties and left without viewing the exhibit. I was happy to be able to go back on the night the members got to come and view the exhibit. It is a very well done exhibit and probably the largest of its kind ever in Kentucky. No small feat for a tiny Museum. Several of the men locally have large personal collections of memorabilia. They also have loans from Eastern Kentucky University in Richmond, Kentucky that fill out the exhibit. It had things from the 1800's gubernatorial races to the present as well as a lot of things about state senators. The one that struck me as the silliest was the man who ran for Governor with the last name of Dummit. Bless his little pea-pickin' heart, that is just a sad name to put on buttons and things. 'Vote of Dummit' just doesn't have the strong punch one needs to get elected.

Saturday, November 3, 2012

We attended the first of several funerals/memorials. Jim Parker in our ward (congregation) lost his daughter, Libby, to brain cancer. She lived so much longer than anyone predicted she would live. We attended Jim's wife, Karen's, funeral earlier this year after she passed away from pancreatic cancer. It was a lovely service at a funeral home in Nicholasville. We took Papa with us. He and Jim have become friends through all of this. They have gone on several day rides together.

That is one week of quick updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment