Wednesday, June 5, 2013

A Big Toe...

Claude is in Utah visiting his mother and family. Tuesday, June 4th, was the day Claude and should cover a shift at the Family History Center. I invited Papa to join me. He was happy to do so.

Tuesday morning I got to his apartment about 9:15 to pick him up. When I got inside he was sitting in his chair. It turns out he was up earlier and, while trying to put on his shoes, lost his balance and fell. He fell into the back bedroom of his apartment where these was nothing to grab onto or fall against. However, he did managed to hurt his big toe on his left foot. Where the toenail connects to the skin at the base of the toenail had bled. Since he is on Coumadin, I was concerned about any bleeding. His toe just hurt very badly. I suggested he stay home but he wanted to go. So he put on his shoes and away we went.

Papa enjoyed his time at the Family History Center. He has given me four binders full of his genealogy research. I combined them into one big notebook. I carried that with me to the Family History Center and gave it to Papa to review. While we were in Winnfield, he talked with Freddie Lee's (Cuz) son, Steve Lawrence, when we attended Church. He promised him some genealogy. I thought Papa would be able to sit and go through the book and determine which pages actually worked for Steve. I even took little sticky tabs for Papa to mark the pages we needed to copy. Guess what...inside this book was the history of the Lawrence family that Papa has written. He spent the entire 3 1/2 hours reading that history. He didn't mark a single page to copy for Steve.

While we were at the Family History Center, I called Papa's doctor and got an appointment to have his big toe checked. After we left there, I took Papa to lunch and then to the doctor's office. Dr. Weckman said there really wasn't anything to do but let it heal. I felt better we had it checked. I took Papa home and made sure he was settled in. I left his genealogy research for him to look through while he lets his toe rest and heal.

I checked on him today. The toe was a little swollen and bruised. Papa is cleaning it regularly with alcohol. He is not putting a sock or shoe on it. I got him some milk so he doesn't have to go out and can sit with his foot elevated. Now we just wait for it to get well.

This journey of caring for parents is full of adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment