Wednesday, June 5, 2013

I Did It...

While in Ireland, Claude and I fell in love with Irish Soda Bread.  It is not the world's fanciest bread but it was just delicious to both of us. When bread was part of a meal, I found myself always choosing the Irish Soda Bread. I opted not to look for a recipe while in Ireland. Our friend, Bernie Bolton, is from Dublin, Ireland. She is a most excellent cook. I knew she would have the perfect soda bread recipe.

About two weeks ago Bernie brought me her recipe. She only asked that when I made it I post a picture for her on Facebrook. Friday, May 31st, we invited Papa over for our first cookout of the summer with the plan to eat on the deck. Claude was going to barbeque chicken, I was going to make Irish Soda Bread, and we would also have peas and cheese salad and a pasta salad. 

Now, I saw Claude making the pasta salad in the morning. I assumed this was so it could sit and the flavors blend together before dinner in the evening. Later in the afternoon I came upstairs to make the peas and cheese salad. I had the peas in the microwave cooking and I was slicing the cheese. Then I looked in the fridge for some onion and saw a peas and cheese salad already made. Goodness my hubby is efficient. I stopped the microwave and took the peas out. I ate the pieces of cheese I had already cut. Then I had myself a good chuckle.

About 4pm I started the Irish Soda Bread. Claude and I pronounced it beautiful when it came out of the oven.
I'm sure with practice it will get even better looking. But, really, the inside and taste is what is important. This bread had a great texture inside and the taste was perfect.

But, our first cookout of the summer and dinner on the deck did not happen. The rains came down and the floods came up. Well, those are the words to a song. The rains really did come down in a big way but the creek did not flood.  Hence, no cookout and no eating on the deck. Claude pulled out the George Forman and grilled that chicken inside and we ate at the breakfast table. But it was an excellent meal and we all enjoyed it very much.

There will be more Irish Soda Bread in our future. It is done start to finish in an hour and the loaf is just the right size for the two of us with some extra for the next day.

Thanks Bernie Bolton for sharing your recipe with us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment