Thursday, January 16, 2014

Safe Harbor...

With the broken valve at the Church, our meetings for Sunday were moved to the Frankfort Ward building. The key to the nursery toy closet was given to me and the Primary closet was left open so we could store the microphone there when we finished our meetings. The plan was for me to take the key to Laura's home after the meetings were over.  I would leave the microphone in the closet in the box in which it is stored.

As our Primary progressed I was ever watchful for the closet door to stay ajar.  Once it closed it would be locked and I wouldn't be able to store the microphone there.  At one point one of the children almost let it shut. I found myself calling loudly from the back of the Primary room to be careful of the door.  Amy, my counselor, picked up on my cries of concern and made sure the door was more ajar.  Then, as I was teaching the Sharing Time lesson, I went to write on the chalkboard which was on the door.  Yep, I heard a click and that was it, the door was closed and locked. Somewhere during the meeting I realized I could leave the nursery key locked in the closet with the microphone and not need to go to Laura's.  Now, I realized I would definitely need to go to Laura's and take the key and the microphone.

After Primary I headed into the countryside around Frankfort to Laura's home.  They have a long driveway to their home. It had several puddles in it and I splashed through them going to their house.  I visited with Laura and then headed to my car for the drive to Georgetown to visit with Papa.

As I left and approached the puddles, I had the not so bright idea to drive along the edge of the driveway and not splash everything.  At the point where there is an underground stream of water I did not know existed, I found my car sliding a bit further to the left than I wanted. I tried to steer the car back to the driveway but I started to spin. Now, to get out of snow you are supposed to rock the car back and forth.  I tried this several time and it seemed at points like it might work but that is not at all what was happening.  I was actually digging a hole, or four of them.

I gave up (which I should have done much sooner) and started to open my door to walk back to Laura's home. Imagine my surprise when the ground was level with the bottom of my door.  This was NOT good. I was in Sunday dress which meant heels and hose and a skirt.  This was NOT good either.  I stepped out onto the grass and my feet sank into the very wet ground. Oh no!!!

I looked up and saw Laura walking from her home to my car.  She assured me Jessie was getting Howard.  She also assured me to steel myself for some sarcasm.  It would be justly deserved.

Howard said, "Do you have AAA?"  Well, we have some coverage with our insurance which is not with AAA.  Howard walked around the car and around the car and assessed the situation.  Bless his heart, he was the most patient soul I ever saw in my entire life.

Eventually Howard determined the best way to handle the situation.  He drove his truck in front of my car, took out his tow strap, fastened it somewhere under my right front tire (how he found the spot in the mud I will never know).  Then he gave me instructions as to what to expect and what to do. He gently pulled my car and I kept the steering wheel where he instructed and soon I was out of the mud.  Laura thinks she can plant potatoes in the holes I left.  Goodness!!!

Never did Howard raise his voice. The restraint that took is admirable and a mark of his character.  For his kind help I shall be forever grateful.

Here is my car:
As I drove to Georgetown flinging mud behind me,  I pondered the events of that evening.  I am 63 years old.  But I thought about my parents concern when I was a child that I have good friends.  It was so very important to them that I have good friends.  I told Laura later that evening that, if my parents even had the ability to be aware of this situation, they would say, "You have good friends."  How grateful I am for these good people and their patience with my huge mistake.  May I learn from their lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment