Monday, January 13, 2014

Winter Project...

New Year's Eve is a time I look forward to.  Claude and I watch all three 'Lord of the Rings' movies back to back.  That would be nine consecutive hours of movie viewing. That would include a fun dinner, tasty snacks galore, lots of soda and a slight break between each movie. We both love having this quiet evening way of celebrating the New Year.

This year we determined we would start at 3pm (or there about) so we would be done around midnight.  This worked great.

One of the reasons this is a fun evening for me is my need to create and execute a craft.  I definitely got this gene from my mother.  This wonderful nine hours gives me a great period of time to work on a craft. This year I started an afghan.

I have been the happy owner of three drawers of yarn.  These are skeins of yarn needed for some project or other and only a portion of the skein was used.  It is nice to have this kind of item in your home for whenever at whatever time.  However, after 9 years of looking at this supply of partial skeins of yarn, I felt it was time to find a use for them.  They needed to be used and not just waste away in a drawer.  I have made some baby afghans with a stitch I just love.  So, I thought, what the heck, if I just use this thicker yarn and a really big hook I could made an adult afghan.

Before the movies began, I pulled out all the colors of yarn that were the same weight and laid them on my ironing board.  I picked the first skein an headed to the family room.  New Year's Eve I got a lot done but did not finish it.  Adult afhans, at least from my point of view, need to be large enough to cover any adult in my home that wants to cover up with an afghan.  We have some big guys in our family, so that means an afghan needs to be plenty big.

Tuesday, January 7th, Claude and I were curled up in our living room watching television. The temperature was -7 degrees outside and I was crocheting away on my winter project.  This is the picture I posted on Facebook. I was snuggly and warm proving winter is the perfect time to crochet and afghan.
Friday, January 12th, I finished my humungachunga afghan.  Claude and pronouced it 'worthy'.  That finishes this year's winter project.

No comments:

Post a Comment