Sunday, September 7, 2014

It's Been A Month Since My Last Post...

I feel like I should belong to 'Blogger's Anonymous'.  Those people who want to Blog but can't find the time to fit it in and then realize they are so far behind.  Then the near panic of trying to remember what you did over the last month so you can still get it down.  After all, this is your journal and a monthly entry is probably not quite enough.  I shall not promise myself I will be more consistent. That can only lead to making myself feel guilty if I am not more consistent.  I shall just try to do better and catch up this life record just a bit.

Here is the outline version of my last month after which I will Blog about some of the events.  It seems those will be the one's with pictures.  I believe taking pictures helps my memory a lot.

My last post was August 3rd, a Sunday.  I'll only note items on my calendar.  Rest assured all hours were full in my days.

Monday, August 4th, I took Papa to the doctor. He was diagnosed with congestive heart failure.

Tuesday, August 5th, Claude and I spent the day covering our shift at the Family History Center.

Wednesday, August 6th, I took Papa to the nursing home in the afternoon and to visit Mimi's grave.

Friday, August 8th, I got a haircut.  Now that is momentous people, absolutely momentous.

Sunday, August 10th, I left right after Church to go to Chelsea, Michigan to pick up Aubrey, our middlemost grandmonster.  Nissa and Todd drove Aubrey to Chelsea and Uncle Jake had Aubrey duty until I could get there.  Aubrey, Jake and I enjoyed a nice dinner at Frisch's followed by a visit at the Comfort Inn.  Aubrey ordered this dessert not knowing how very large it would be.  Uncle Jake helped her finish it.  Now, isn't that a good Uncle??
Monday, August 11th, Aubrey and I drove back to Sadieville spending at least 75% of the time in a blinding rain.  Goodness.  We paused to fill the tank with gas in Dexter at the Pilot station before actually hitting the road. Something was said, as I stood in line to get us a beverage for the drive, about the rain cloud coming our direction.  I commented I hoped we missed it since we had a long drive to Sadieville, Kentucky. A nice officer in uniform and packing a hefty weapon turned around and said, "It is supposed to be going this way" and pointed away from where we were headed. Then he added, "But a policeman will NOT stop you for speeding if it is raining."  Everyone in line realized who and what he said and we all got a laugh. We made it home just fine and Claude was happy to see us.  You see we brought the rain to Sadieville and we hadn't had any rain for a bit a truly needed it.  Claude would not have to water his tomatoes that night.

Tuesday, August 12th, I took Papa to the Georgetown Hospital for an Echo. This was an ultrasound to check the...can't this of a good word...let's try 'degree' of his congestive heart failure.  I needed the result to be back to Dr. Weckman by Thursday when we would have our follow-up appointment with him.  We also fit in getting Tiny's nails clipped.  Papa and I neither feel good doing this so the vet is our nail clipper.

Wednesday, August 13th, was our son-in-law's birthday. Gift was in the mail so he should have gotten it that day or before.  I also took Aubrey with me to see Papa and take him to the nursing home for the music for the residents.  A treat was purchased for all of us to enjoy while we visited.

Thursday, August 14th, I was back in Georgetown to get the result of the Echo from Dr. Weckman and learn what we needed to do to help Papa next. Dr. Weckman knew I was headed out for a trip the next day and he just looked at me directly and said, "He is okay. You go have a good trip."  I truly felt Dr. Weckman understood how caring for Papa is not an easy thing, how I have the best of intentions in all I do for Papa and that a break would be a good thing and I shouldn't worry about him while I was gone.  It just felt like Dr. Weckman had a great bedside manner that day.  I purchased groceries for Papa for while we would be out-of-town, posted our itinerary and contact information for while we would be gone, made him a chart and posted it on the mirror in his bathroom to record his weight each morning, and gave him the list of numbers to call if he couldn't get me and needed someone right away.  Papa was tucked it. Now to go home and finish my packing.  In the evening I checked what Aubrey packed and made sure she was comfortable with how things would go. This would be her first flight and we wanted her to be very comfortable with the experience.  When all things were in order, Claude headed out for an evening meeting and Aubrey and I put a puzzle out on the dining room table to make that evening.

Friday, August 15th through Friday, August 22nd we made a trip to Depoe Bay, Oregon for a reunion with Claude's family.  That will be covered in a separate Blog entry.

Saturday, August 23rd, we got home from the airport and were in bed about 12:30am.  Andie and the Mini's came for a visit so the Mini's could play with Aubrey.  Andie arrived while I was in Georgetown checking on Papa and refilling his cabinets and fridge with food.  Papa opted not to come to Sadieville that day.  He just wasn't feeling perky.  Movies were watched and games were played followed by a sleepover with Aubrey in the basement.

Sunday, August 24th, Andie, Aubrey, Claude and the Mini's stayed home and I headed to church followed by picking up Papa and taking him to Sadieville to be with the family.  Andie took the pictures here and I haven't received them from her yet.  Some were on her phone which was stolen and then wiped clean before it was returned to here.  Haircuts were done for Andie, Papa and Claude and Bailey had her bangs trimmed.  Tiny was walking very wobbly and stiff.  Claude and I were concerned.

Monday, August 25th, Claude and I drove Aubrey to Muskegon, Michigan.  We would spend the night there.  It was good to see Todd, our son-in-law. He had major surgery a week before while we were in Oregon.  He was doing as well as he could, in a lot of pain, but determined to heal and get better.  Atta-boy Todd!! Dinner was at The Pita Place. I was happy.  Love having a good falafel.

Tuesday, August 26th, Claude and I drove to Chelsea, Michigan in time to take Jacob to lunch. He directed us to a great little Chinese restaurant and we dined well.  After lunch we headed on the road to Sadieville.

Wednesday, August 27th, Claude headed to Louisville for the Governor's Local Issues Conference. He would return Friday.  I was able to work with my counselor and get the Primary Program booklets all put together for the teachers and take Papa to the nursing home to provide music for the residents.  I ended my day in Georgetown buying groceries for our home and dodging an awful rainstorm in the process.  It started to pour buckets right after I entered Walmart and finished just before I went to my car.  Such a blessing.

Thursday, August 28th, was my day at home to clean.  Claude's brother, Cordell, and his wife, Julie, were headed to our home from New Hampshire on their way to Arizona.  They would arrive Thursday early evening.  I was able to clean through my whole house, finish the laundry and get the ironing done so that I could relax and visit these dear relatives.  While cleaning, I came across what is clearly a Baileyism.  She loves to collect things and order them as they fit in her world.  I have had some interesting finds after she leaves our home.  This was one of them.  The candlestick is a turtle.  I collect turtles.  Bailey placed the Christus statue on top of the candlestick.  Now, I don't claim this was her intention but it was fitting to me as Christ is the Light of the World.  Love how our little cherub gave me an 'ah-ha' moment and a smile.
Cordell and Julie pulled in and parked on our empty lot. It was so nice having them here.  Their visit was punctuated with a fridge that quit working, then the freezer quit working. They were staying in our home while here but their fridge and freezer were full of things.  It was an adventure for them.
Friday, August 29th, Claude returned from Louisville.  We ate dinner at BD Mongolian Grill in Lexington. Lots of good visiting. 

Saturday, August 30th, I went to Georgetown to play the piano for Kambria Fairbanks baptism.  I also visited Papa and got his groceries.  When I returned to Sadieville, Cordell and Julie were finishing up their laundry and planning to leave right away.  They had calculated the number of miles they could travel in a day and knew the day they needed to be in Arizona to see a grandson's ball game. This meant they needed to get on the road.  We put deli on the island in the kitchen and all fixed us a plate of something to eat.  One last meal together before they hit the road.  This first night was tough for them.  Their generator would not work, the fridge and freezer would not work, and they suffered in the heat near Cave City, Kentucky.  Cordell was able to do some research and fix the fridge and freezer.  They purchased a new generator and were off for a more pleasant rest of their trip. They made it to the ballgame with 30 minutes to spare.  That is great grand parenting!!

Monday, September 1st, was Labor Day.  Claude and I had a quiet morning putzing at our to-do lists. I went into Georgetown and picked up Papa and Tiny and brought them out for the afternoon.  We viewed the Oregon trip pictures and videos.  Claude fixed us a great dinner.  Tiny was having a much harder time getting around.  When it was time for me to drive Papa back to Georgetown, we put her on the floor and she couldn't hardly move. I had to carry her down the step into our garage and lift her into the car after Papa got in so she could sit close to him.  When we got to Georgetown, I took Tiny so Papa could get out of the car.  He struggles with this at 86 years of age.  I gently put Tiny on the ground and her legs collapsed under her.  She couldn't even stand up.  I was very concerned.  Tiny is a HUGE part of Papa's life.  My mind was in gear as to what to do now.  Papa came around the car and called for Tiny to go inside with him.  She couldn't stand. I told this to Papa.  After a bit, I lifted her again and held her for a bit as she got her legs under her.  Then she staggered in as Papa staggered into the house.  What a pair!!

Tuesday, September 2nd, was our next shift at the Family History Center.  While there I called the vet and explained what Tiny was doing.  I asked for an appointment to have her evaluated by the vet. Then I asked if they euthanized dogs and what the particulars were if that were necessary.  All was explained.  I called Papa and told him I made an appointment for Tiny and asked him to prepare himself if the vet did not have good news.

Wednesday, September 3rd, I attended our first Countryside Homemakers meeting for this year in the morning.  After lunch with these nice ladies, I headed home to get a few things done before going into Georgetown.  The appointment for Tiny at the vet's was at 2pm.  I picked up Tiny and Papa and noted Tiny was walking a bit better.  The vet checked her and said she had very bad arthritis, gingivitis and a rapid heart beat he didn't feel good about but attributed some to her being at the vet. We left with medicine to be given to her twice a day for the gingivitis and another medicine to be given to her once a day for the arthritis.  I just took them both home, added Tiny to Papa's med chart over his sink so they could both medicate at the same time in the morning and evening.  Again, I say, what a pair!!  I did Papa's grocery shopping.  Then Papa and I went to the nursing home to take music to the residents.  

Thursday, September 4th, I had a Primary presidency meeting in the chapel in the morning.  We put down tape where each child will sit for the program and add the extra chairs we would need.  Then we met for a few minutes to discuss business.  After the ladies left, I spent some time changing the bulletin boards in the Primary room.  One of the seminary classes meets in there during the week and we wanted to give them a bulletin board.  Then I treated myself to lunch at Burger King.  My afternoon was spent cleaning Papa's apartment.  Papa and I then drove to Frankfort to visit Mimi's grave followed by an ice cream treat at Dairy Queen.  When we finished, I told Papa I was going to take the quick way home on the Interstate.  Papa loves driving the back roads and I try to do this as much as I can. But I truly needed to get home and so I hopped on I-64.  Murphy's Law ensued and we found ourselves in a traffic jam.  I, of course, needed gas and counted as the miles available to drive on this tank of gas dropped a mile every few seconds it seemed.  I pulled out my cell phone and, while traffic was at a dead stop, I quickly checked Google Maps.  I determined to take the next exit even though it would go out of our way a bit, at least I would be moving and the miles available on that tank of gas would stop dropping so quickly.  We made it to the off ramp and to Papa's apartment and I still had enough gas to get me to the Pilot station. Yippee!!  Another blessing.

Friday, September 5th, I spent the morning weeding a flower bed in Sadieville in preparation for Sadieville in September on Saturday (that will also be a separate Blog entry).  I did find poison ivy but as of today, I only have one finger that has the rash. Another blessing.  However, something stung the back of my neck and left a lovely whelp there.  I was exhausted after that weeding, my allergies were over the top bad, so I took an allergy pill, showered, and laid down for a nap. That was a great nap.  My evening was spent making signs and coloring pages for the Rosenwald School time at Sadieville in September which Claude and I would cover.  Then I went to bed to get some rest before our busy Saturday.

Saturday, September 6th, was Sadieville in September.  I took an allergy pill at 8am in preparation for being outside all day.  I took another at 2pm while we were in the Rosenwald School.  These things just drain me and I only want to sleep.  We got home about 6pm or a little latter.  I took my pictures off my camera and realized I was just done in with the meds.  And I only took half a dose each time.  I made sure I had all my stuff ready for Sunday and went to bed by 8:30pm with my alarm set for 6:15am Sunday morning.  It was a good idea.

Today, Sunday, September 7th, was our first practice for our Primary program.  The kids were great.  One little guy pulled a tooth as our practice began. We all gave him a hooray and I took the tooth for safe-keeping until Primary was over.  I realized at Church that I was driving without a driver's license.  I took a tiny shoulder strap purse to Sadieville in September.  I put my driver's license in that little purse in case I needed to drive while we were over there.  I put the little purse in my black bag I carry on Sunday's. Well, I thought it was in that bag.  I was so out of it Saturday evening, I put the little purse in the black bag with the things for us to have at the Rosenwald School.  Hence, I drove all day today without a driver's license.  I thought to myself as I left the church, "You drive every day with a license and you are careful and don't have any problems.  Today is no different.  But I sure felt more alert to all the traffic as I drove today.  I visited with Papa after choir practice and then hurried home to put on my stretchy clothes and relax the rest of my Sunday.  I determined catching up on my Blogging was the best way to get back on track with things that are playing around in my head that need to be done.  

So, here I sit with this very lengthy month long record of my calendared life.  It feels good to have it recorded.  Now I'll do two other posts about Oregon and Sadieville in September.  Then I can hit the hay for a good night's rest and be ready to tackle Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment