Monday, September 22, 2014

Now, to the Point of the Matter...

Sunday was a very full day.  Up by 6am to get ready for an early morning meeting at Church.  Got to Church early so I could be sure the chapel was ready for the Primary children's annual Sacrament Meeting Program and to be sure the Primary room was ready for all our Sunday meetings.

My meeting began at 8am.  I left it at 9am to go pick up Papa for Church.  He loves to heard the Primary kids do their program.

The program was great.  Each child said their part and sang their little hearts out.  

Jack, who has Down's Syndrome and said his part three times during last year's program, hesitated this year when it was his turn. He hopped up to the microphone but then was unsure about saying his part.  I called to Jeanne who is his helper and told her to let some other kids say their part from his class and then let him try again. She let him back away and after one other child he was ready and hopped right up there and said his part.  

The little child who told me he usually hurls during the program, didn't!!  Yippee!!

Jacob Hopper sang so loudly, especially on the chorus of each song, that the congregation were smiling and chuckling. 

The Sunbeams were really quite well behaved until close to the end.  We had quiet books for them and they made it through the rest of the program.  They are only 3 years old and I felt they were super well behaved.

The 4 year old class has two little boys that feed off of each other.  My 2nd Counselor picked up on their antics.  We had this class moved to the front of the stand so they could be seen for each of the songs.  These two little guys would stand together and hide behind the stand and play.  Eliza simply moved behind them and separated them from that point forward when they come forward to sing. It was done so quietly no one probably noticed at all.

One song, "The Priesthood is Restored", has music that, when played on the piano sounds like trumpets.  The children had been told this when they practiced.  When they sang during the program they sounded like joyful trumpets themselves.  Great job and very touching.

One of my pet peeves is kids leaving to go to the bathroom.  I coached them strongly in each of their two practice weeks to get their drinks and go to the bathroom prior to sacrament meeting so they would not have to leave during the program.  I told them they were like a mini-Mormon Tabernacle choir and we never see the members of that choir leave during their performances.  Only one little girl left during the program.  I was greatly impressed with the kids for sitting and not leaving.

After church, I attended choir practice and then cleaned the tape for where the kids sat off the benches and chairs.  Then I went to Papa's for a good visit.  Later I met Claude for some lunch.

At 4pm he and I were at the Church to set up to teach the Temple Preparation class.  I took back some things for the Primary closet.  I also tried to clear some more space for the seminary kids to put their scriptures in the Primary closets.  While doing this I took a red bag the teacher keeps in the closet with things she needs to teach on the floor.  I had taken my shoes off so I could be more agile (ha!!) and, while taking some other things out of the closet to get to the items in the back of that shelf, I tripped and stepped in the red bag.  I managed to break the tip of a pencil off in the sole of my foot.  Yep, real agile!

When we got home, I got the alcohol, cotton pads, tweezers and a needle and sat myself under the bright light in the living room.  I dug and tried to get out all of what I could find in my foot.  The angle I had to put my foot was not great for me to actually work on my foot.  I was sure something was still in there.

Claude came to the rescue, or tried to.  He dug and squeezed and picked some more.  I winced in pain and kept pouring alcohol to the wound and on the items used to try and remove the point of the pencil.  After all his work, Claude was sure there was still something there and we determined I should go see our doctor and be sure everything was out of my foot.

Today, Dr. Culbertson only grinned at my silliness.  He numbed my foot so all his digging didn't hurt at all, just the shot to deaden the area hurt a bit.  At one point Dr. Culbertson asked if the lamp he had shining on my foot to see well was burning my foot.  I assured him I felt nothing.  He then told me it was burning his hands.  Then I laughed because I had this recollection of Tim Conway playing a dentist in a sketch on the Carol Burnett Show many years ago.  I told Dr. Culbertson he should give himself one of the deadening shots and then the lamp wouldn't burn his hand but he might end up like the comedy sketch.  Harvey Corman was the patient and was trying very hard not to laugh but was really in stitches.  Tim Conway accidentally stabs his leg with the shot to deaden Harvey Corman.  Then Tim Conway acts the part of his leg going numb as he tries again to deaden Harvey Corman.  Harvery Corman is now about ready to roll over in the chair with laughter.  Then Tim Conway accidentally gives that deadening shot into his arm or hand and had to lift his hand up to Harvey Corman's mouth with the other hand.  It is a classic piece of comedy.   We had a chuckle.  Dr. Culbertson said he got all out he could find.  The nurse came in and gave me a tetanus shot. 

I hurried to Papa's to get him back to his doctor for his blood test.   After taking Papa home, I went to CVS Pharmacy and picked up my antibiotic prescription.

Sometimes, I try and make my own life a little more difficult.  I am sure that pencil lead will not do me in, and I'm sure whatever was in there is gone because it doesn't hurt when I walk on it.  Such silliness!!


No comments:

Post a Comment