Friday, July 31, 2015

Random Moments in Time...

Just to catch up, this post will include a few random moments over the last month.

July 8th Claude and I drove to London, Kentucky.  They qualified as a Kentucky Trail Town. Claude has been working with groups trying to have this happen in Sadieville. It is a big thing in Kentucky. Such pretty country it is not surprising that people want to run, walk, ride bicycles and horses on trails through the countryside. Claude wanted to see how they handled the actual ceremony to receive their certification. They were the fifth city in Kentucky to receive this certification.

London has a big pavilion in downtown. They hold farmer's markets there and other events. The ceremony would be held in that pavilion. As it was an exceptionally hot day, it was nice to be under cover and out of that sun. In addition to some of the farmer's market booths, other vendors came and set up booths with things that fit the theme of 'Trail Town'. 

I stopped and talked to the person running the booth that had to do with Daniel Boone Trace. This is a group that is working to create a 'trace' or trail that you can ride in your car and walk in some places that follows Daniel Boone's path through Kentucky. Lots of the official trail has been built up and not preserved. This group will use a color theme on their map of the trail. One color means you can drive these roads, another color means an area you can walk through the area and the third color will be where only historical markers are located to tell you about the trail. Claude and I drove Natchez Trace once from Natchez, Mississippi to Memphis, Tennessee. It was just a wonderful drive. This would be similar to that only going through congested areas at points. I purchased two books from them to support their cause. One was the story of life for Rebekah Boone, Daniel's wife. It depicts would life was like for women during this time period and Rebekah in particular. The other book was an interview done with Nathan Boone, Daniel Boone's son. The interview has been turned into a book about Daniel Boone as seen through the eyes of his son. Papa has that one reading it now.

The pavilion was covered with maps of the different trails in the county. There was one large map of Kentucky at the front and it showed the towns (there are only five at present) that have earned 'Trail Town' status. It also showed towns that are working on getting that status. Claude is pointing to Sadieville.  Our little town showed up on the map. Yeah us!!

Governor Beshear's wife, Jane, was the guest speaker. She loves horses and was a major part of why there is the Trail Town effort is going on today.

It was a nice event. We purchased food from the Farmer's Market and then left for home.

We have, and Claude in particular has, put a lot of work on our hill this summer. July 10th we anticipated a big rain shower. Claude headed down the hill to put some final bricks on walls, rocks in for water drainage when it rains and other odds and ends. The clouds gathered and he still worked. The thunders started and he still worked. I kept hoping and watching for him to get back on the tractor and bring it up the hill. If the grass is wet, the tractor is often not able to be driven over it. Then the rain started and he stayed on the hill. I took this picture. Can't even see Claude under the fir tree? He stayed to watch how the rain water flowed and where he needs to shore things up. Afterward, he drove the tractor slowly up the hill and into the garage. I was very happy when he was inside.

While Bailey was here, I went out to crush a can. The handle was up a little so the place I put the cans to crush them was exposed. I lifted the handle enough to put the can in and then caught myself short. There was a blob in the bottom of the place where the can sits and it had a long pointy thing coming up from the blob. What in the world was that? I looked a little closer and realized it was a hummingbird and I thought it was still breathing a bit. It was just dark on the outside. I got Bailey so she could see it and we decided to let it be for a bit until Claude came back inside. Then we could all determine what was the best way to handle this.

Claude came back into the garage later and called me, "Sandi, you need to come see this!"  I knew he found the bird. Bailey and I went in the garage. Well, the little bird was now on the floor of the garage in front of my car. Claude carefully picked it up and put it in the shade under the bush by the garage. We left it alone. Claude thinks it just needed sugar and there was some in the bottom of the can crusher. That must have been enough to give it the ability to regain some strength. It flew away after a bit. I do hope it found the two hummingbird feeders we have on the back of the house!

Saturday, July 25th, Claude and I attended our fourth Eagles Concert.  This one was at Rupp Arena in Lexington. Such a good concert. I never tire of singing "Love Will Keep Us Alive" with Timothy B. Schmidt. 

Sunday, July 26th, I'm sitting in the chapel checking my cellphone to see if Papa called. Someone came to my pew, sat down beside and put their arm around me. I looked up and it was Lisa Adams. She was my counselor when we were the Stake Relief Society presidency. She moved to Florida so I don't get Lisa hugs very often. I just squealed and gave her a big hug right back. Not really appropriate for the chapel but it just came out. Then I took a selfie of the two of us to send to Laura and Barbara. These ladies were such a huge part of my life and I will always treasure their friendship.

This summer I have attended four Inservice meetings too prepare to teach Institute this next year. These are new training lessons done over the Internet. They are the very best I have ever participated in. Sometimes I felt so happy that I was doing things right. Other times I saw areas for huge improvement. Grateful for this training although it was grueling trying to put the time in necessary to prepare the lesson as well as doing the lessons on line to prepare for Inservice. The Church provides so much for us. It is amazing. 

I continue to crochet afghans. Working on two right now. It is nice to do that again. 

I'm sure there are tons of incidentals over the last month I'm missing. This should catch a lot of it up-to-date.

No comments:

Post a Comment