Thursday, April 7, 2016

Spring Break...

Another tradition was enjoyed this week. The Mini's were on Spring Break from Oldham County Schools. They arrived Sunday evening and left mid-day Wednesday.

Sunday evening we thought we might have a cook-out. Burgers on the grill was in order. Corn on the cob was purchased, pasta salad made, deviled eggs prepared and ready...then...it was too cold. A shady deck is great in the hot summer but when the temperature is dropping and your in the shade with a breeze, not so much. Claude pulled out the George Foreman grill and we cooked indoors. The Mini's really enjoyed the indoor cook-out! 

Lots of chatter takes place when the Mini's arrive. They share all they are doing and have done since our last visit. Favorite items are pulled out in our home they want to enjoy while they are here. Sleeping arrangements are determined. Plans are confirmed for the next day. It just fills the evening with buzz. 

Monday we thought it was supposed to rain all day so we planned to be inside all day. As it turned out we should have planned an outside day. It got up to 70 degrees and was beautiful outside. Geez!

I had all the makings for a new wreath for my front door. I have enjoyed the gold one I made but I wanted a burlap one for the summer. Andie wanted to learn how to make them so I started her and she created this beautiful wreath for me. I have silk flowers and will add them later.
Down in the bottom of my bag of supplies for the wreath was a package with four pots of gold to be used on a future St. Patrick's Day wreath. The light bulbs went off in Bailey's brain and she asked for paper. We went to Claude's office and he gave her a sheet of typing paper. Back to the kitchen she went with colored pencils in hand and created a rainbow to go with the pot of gold. Then she placed it on the entryway table with our picture from Ireland. 
After these projects were completed, Hayden and Andie spent some time reading their book they are reading together. I had to cancel our Dish Network service. 
I needed to grocery shop for Papa. Hayden wanted some one-on-one time, so we went to Georgetown together to purchase groceries for Papa. 

I suspected there was a bit of an ulterior motive. Just thought I would let it unfold. Sure enough as we went south on I-75 Hayden asked from the back seat, "Are we going to buy Papa's groceries next?" "Yes." "Where do you get them?" "Kroger." "Does it have a toy aisle?" And...there it was! I had a grin on my face and I looked in my rear view mirror to see Hayden's expression. So not subtle!!

We discussed the potential opportunity to check out the one aisle of toys they would have at Kroger and what purchasing potential might lie therein. He was satisfied. Andie has taught our young man well. He will set you up but he knows how to be polite if you say no. He is also very considerate about cost. Hayden has mild autism so these are important skills for him to learn as they are not natural to what he sees as logical. 

We got Papa's groceries except for the Slim Fast. We needed to walk by the toys section to get there. We pulled our cart into that aisle and Hayden started his search. Then he paused and looked at me and said, "Just to be clear, what price range are we looking at here?" See, he knows he can only receive what someone is willing to give and that some grandparents spend a whole lot more than others. Good lesson to know and understand and react to appropriately. I told him this was just a little thing to fill his time so he needed to stay in the $10 - $15 dollar range and, if we got him something, he must help me find something to take to Bailey. Agreed. He found just the right thing for $10 and then we found Bailey just the right things on the sale rack for $7.  These made me happy because they were both Lego sets and I knew the kids would have great fun putting them together and playing with them during their visit. It was a win-win for everyone.

We found the Slim Fast and went to check out. As we were getting ready to push the cart out of the check out lane to go to my car, Hayden noticed the Slim Fast in the bottom of the cart. Now I purchased Kroger brand which is called Slim Rite. Hayden saw it and said, "What a minute. Why did you get Slime right for Papa?" He was really concerned. I had him read it again and he understood then I really didn't get Papa bottles of slime!!

Papa was very happy to have Hayden pop into his apartment. While I took care of bringing in and putting away groceries and refilling prescriptions, Hayden talked with Papa and put together his Lego set. We stayed for a bit and visited with Papa before heading home.

When I got in my car, I had a text message from Claude. It seems in our purchasing of chips for the Mini's visit we both neglected to get Pringles. Bailey loves to tote around cans of Pringles when she visits. Claude said we needed to take care of this situation. I texted back we had finished grocery shopping but we would stop somewhere on the way home.

Off to K-Mart we went. Found Pringles. Got three different flavors just to be sure. And...that put us by the toy section in K-Mart. Yep, we took a pass through the toy section. Same rules as before. Hayden found something in the Lego's he liked and we found a Friends Lego toy for Bailey. We were off.

Bailey was so happy to score two Lego's sets from the Friends category. Hayden had two in the boy category and they were ready to put them together. Each was given a cookie sheet to hold all those tiny little pieces and they each diligently stood at the breakfast table and made their creations. 
While Hayden and I were doing our Georgetown run, Bailey had come armed with a project for just her and Pa (Claude) to work on. It was a cat tent. They watched the YouTube video on how to make this creation. Bailey had all the supplies. She and Claude put it together. When the Mini's got home they put it out for their new kittens who immediately fell in love with this cozy little spot made just for them. My Easter bunny is inside in this picture just to be sure things would fit okay.
Claude made Beefaroni and salads and we put out the old beach towels for a picnic in front of the television for dinner. It was time to educate this young generation to the good things about Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy as brain exercise! They loved it. We all tried to guess and had a great time.
Tuesday morning Claude had to leave to go to Frankfort for a morning meeting. The rest of us loaded in my car and drove to Georgetown to get Papa for breakfast. I don't want to say he was excited about this dining option in his life, but he did call us on the way there to be sure about when we would get there. When we got in his driveway he came out the door to join us. He was right there watching and waiting. Off to Dairy Queen we went. This was mainly my choice. I love Dairy Queen's biscuits and gravy. I know they have pancakes which the others would love. It was a win-win for all. Papa had ham. Bailey loves to share food. She looked at Papa and said, "I would give you a bite of my biscuits and gravy if you would give me a bite of your ham?" Papa was happy to share with this little brown-eyed wonder. We had a lovely breakfast and visit time at Dairy Queen.
Then we took Papa home and spent some time visiting him in his apartment. I took the Mini's for rides on his walker. Bailey found his harmonicas and took two in for them to play together. Papa gave them each a Cadbury egg for a treat. Good times at Papa's apartment. The kids think his apartment is just cool.
We left to meet Claude at Ft. Harrod in Harrodsburg, Kentucky. The Osage Orange tree is there and all of our grandmonsters love this tree. We should have gone Monday when it was 70 degrees. Instead, we were bundled up for a sunny day but only in the 40's. I took my Dollar Store gloves for the Mini's little hands and we had fun watching them climb all over that tree. Lots of pictures were taken. Hayden even took some of Claude and me. A budding photographer we have there I tell you. 
We walked over to the Ft. Harrod Cemetery. There is a rock wall around the outside. The Mini's ran around that. We walked through the graves with their stone markers. Bailey found that addition on one side to this cemetery. 

Then it was time to take our cold bodies home. Something about spending hours in the cold and then getting warm just makes you want to relax. Into comfy clothes we got, crocheting was pulled out, Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy were watched, and a quiet evening was had by all. Grampa cooked pizzas for us for dinner. 

Wednesday was the day the Mini's would head home. But first we gave Andie and Bailey a haircut. They gathered most everything. I did find Bailey's flip flops under the end table after they got home. Oops. She thinks she left her stuffed dragon here. Haven't found that yet. 

Good visit. Lots of fun things accomplished. A little just down time for everyone. Andie finished her novel. I got most of a baby afghan crocheted. Claude got a few quick naps. It was good for young and old alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment