Saturday, April 2, 2016

A Gentle Breeze...

Sometimes one just needs to pause and take a deep breath. Just inhale life and feel peace and joy. I don't do that often enough.

While in Peru on top of Machu Picchu I did stop and just held my arms out and felt the breeze on my face, the warmth of the sun and the peace and joy in that moment. 

The other day while taking out the mail in the morning I stopped in our drive way and felt the breeze on my face again. The morning was fresh and for that moment everything felt okay. Like I could accomplish all I needed to accomplish and love every minute of it. 

Love these moments in time. 

Yesterday was a full day. Needed to get Papa's weekend tide-me-over-till-Monday groceries. I ran out of time Monday so I needed to clean in his apartment. I also wanted to cut his hair and wash his feet and trim his toe nails. My to-do list included going into Lexington to get buttons for Claude's sports coat and pick up a painting we had framed from our trip to Peru. Then I needed to buy groceries for our home as Andie and the Mini's come on Sunday for several days. That would make a full enough day.

But the thought was in my mind and heart that I needed to get Papa out and about. How to fit that in, how to fit that in. Then the inspiration came. Lexington Cemetery. I had always heard it was like a huge arboretum and especially beautiful in the spring. Papa has so enjoyed the blooming white and yellow trees on our ride last week. Maybe there would be some at the cemetery. The thought was not lost on me that taking Papa to a cemetery might seem a little odd at his age and health. But, we both enjoyed driving through the Frankfort Cemetery last year, so.... 

I got Papa's groceries and headed to his apartment. It included a treat for him to enjoy during General Conference this weekend. I put the groceries away when I got to his apartment and started my cleaning. When that was finished we did his feet (this is not a fun job at all!!) and cut his hair. Then he grabbed a SlimFast as it was close to lunch but not quite there and we weren't sure when we would have him home. Out the door we went and off to Lexington staying on the back roads as much as possible.

The Lexington Cemetery was absolutely amazing. We slowly wound our way through the outside edges and Papa was in awe. He kept saying, "This is the biggest cemetery I ever saw. Look at the marker, it looks like a house. Oh, look at that beautiful tree. Now that is a funny name on that marker." Well, you get the idea. He was having a grand time. 

Then we found a tulip garden area. I stopped and rolled down the windows so Papa could enjoy the view while I took a few pictures. 
Papa particularly loved the bright red tulips. The picture of the single blossom should have my hand beside it to show how huge it is. It would take my two hands lightly cupped to be the size of this one blossom.

The cemetery was a huge hit for both of us and we will go back when the leaves are full on the trees.

One the way to run my two Lexington errands I plotted my drive to pass Krispy Kreme. They had the 'Hot' sign lit. We would be getting very fresh donuts for a treat. Papa had never been inside a Krispy Kreme and he enjoyed watching them being cooked and glazed. We finished my errands and then I took a happy Papa home. 

The one sad thing was my stop at Hancock Fabric for buttons. It seems they were notified the day before that all Hancock Fabrics stores across the United States will be closed by July. Very, very sad.

I picked up the painting we purchased in Peru and brought it home. Now we have to find the right place on our family room walls for this beautiful painting. It has a llama, alpaca and a little Andean child in it. So makes me want to go back to Peru.
Now I settle in for two days of General Conference broadcasts on BYU-TV. This is turning into a truly great weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment