Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Nice Moments...

Nice Moment #1:

I am very grateful for digital pictures, Facebook and text messages...most of the time. One of their biggest benefits is the ability to watch this first great grandmonster grow even though they live 8 hours away. And I am grateful Katelyn and Drew are good at taking and posting pictures or texting them to me. Such a blessing.

This last Friday, while Papa and I were gallivanting through the countryside, Katelyn and Drew were enjoying little Raelyn. She is really working at holding her head up for long periods of time. To encourage that and record it for history, they posted a series of pictures with Drew holding her in a sitting position and Katelyn taking pictures. They even took a video clip. Amazing!! This is my favorite picture from the group.
I think our little dear may have just about had it with her parents antics at this point. I mentioned to Katelyn that it was great fun to have a baby to play with. She agreed. Nissa, our daughter and Raelyn's grandmother, says this picture reminds her of a kewpie doll. I just think she is cute as all git out!!

Nice Moment #2:

I stopped at the Love's Travel Plaza to fill my car with gasoline. The Scott County firetruck was parked there. In front of it was a mother wrapped in a blanket with a little boy. I was hoping she had not been a victim of a fire and that was what she had left. Turns out this little family of three was from Dayton, Ohio. Her little guy LOVES fire trucks and she was out in the cold letting him check this one out under her watchful eye while daddy filled their car. 

The fireman was headed into Hardee's and turned and saw them. He came back and asked if the little guy wanted to see inside the fire truck. They were happy to have permission for him to walk around and touch the truck. The father returned and I asked if I could take a picture for our Sadieville Facebook page. The family and fireman agreed.
I truly don't know if the little guy was happier or the fireman was happier to have the attention of this little guy. 

Then the fireman went inside the truck and came back with a plastic fireman's helmet. He gave it to a very happy little guy. This was just one of those really precious moments. How many hard things do firemen have to do in their day. How good it must have been to share his world with a very interested and eager little boy. I was happy I was able to enjoy this moment in time. Like having those nice moments in our days.

Nice Moment #3:

This last week I was able to visit with three of the sisters in our ward (congregation). We have a program called 'Visiting Teaching' in the Church. Each of us are assigned ladies to visit and be sure they are okay. If something happened in their lives and they needed help, they would call me first and I would set up help in the form they needed. Mostly, we just get to know each other better and build wonderful friendships. 

I have been the visiting teacher for two of these ladies for years. The third was my first time visiting her. Each of the ladies has many different and varied needs. 

I find myself sometimes wondering about things in my own life. Why is this happening in my life? What in the world am I supposed to learn from it? Am I making things harder by my feelings or actions? You know, all those questions that we drill ourselves with that sometimes help and sometimes just make us feel worse. I had been in the middle of one of those times and then I spend a week visiting others. 

Each visit was 1 1/2 hours or more. Each of these ladies have trials they must bear and what they needed from me was a listening ear and an understanding heart. I could do that. And, in the process, become aware of my own questions and how insignificant some of them are and what the real answer is to some of the real pertinent questions that do have bearing on my life. It fills me with awe that the Lord can place in our lives times like this where answers are received and perspective is given that truly lifts me up. That is the tender mercy of the Lord in my life. I recognize it and am grateful for it. None of these ladies had any clue that as I came their homes I too needed answers. None of these ladies know that I found them by listening to them and their personal journey. It is just how these things work and how we sometimes receive answers to prayers and questions we have. 

Tender mercy, very tender mercy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment