Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Time Out With Papa

Friday Papa and I spent the day taking a nice long ride in the countryside. He picked the route and away we went. 

Along the way, as we drove down a mountain, I noticed an overlook with a car on it that looked interesting below us. I told Papa we needed to check that out. I pulled into the entry and we went down the hill on a very narrow road. Sure enough, we had to make room for that car I saw while coming down the mountain as it tried to leave the overlook and come back up to the highway. We parked in the little parking lot. However, you couldn't see over the edge from sitting in the car. The name of this place is 'Broken Leg Falls'. You will see the irony as you read this post.

I got out to go find a spot to take a picture. I thought Papa was staying in the car. I walked back along the parking lot to where railing was built and a platform for a picnic table. I looked back and saw Papa getting out of the car. My heart started to beat faster. Here's why.

Papa as a young man had absolutely no fear of heights. He could stand right on the edge of a cliff and have no qualms at all.  Today he has very poor balance. When he starts to walk he begins to lean forward and gets faster and faster until he falls unless you slow him down. This is especially true on any little decline at all. Now I saw him at the edge of the cliff trying to get a peek over the side.

I started to yell at him to be still until I got there. His pride kicks in and he is sure he is okay. I tell him if he goes over the edge I can't help him. Please stay still till I get there. No. He is not going to do that.

Now, they had a series of for of those wood beam steps going down from the parking lot to the next left of the edge near the car. To my dismay, Papa started to go down these steps. I saw disaster in our future as I continued to yell, "Please wait till I get there. Don't take any more steps." Papa continued to take steps. My heart was in my throat.

I made it to that last step just as Papa took it and really started to go forward out of his own control. I reached to get him and he fell forward. There happened to be a tree on the edge of the cliff and Papa put his hand out and the tree stopped him. I said a silent prayer thanking the good Lord for that tree growing right there. 

I told Papa to follow me and we would walk to the part of this lookout with railing for us to hold on to. Papa turned back toward the cliff where there were more steps going down that edge. No rail and they were cut into the rock. I assured Papa we were not going there. He turned and followed me to the area that was railed off. Once I got him to the rails I felt better about going ahead a bit. 

I made it to the bottom with the intent to take a quick picture and then back up the hill to him. He was headed to the bridge I was on to see what he could see. He was holding those rails on both sides and made it safely to where I was. 
Quite the adventure for us to get there. A very pretty and interesting view. Then it was time to try and make our way back to the top. This would totally exhaust Papa. He just plodded along until we got back up that hill and across the parking lot to the car. I had a Mello Yellow in the front of the car and he had some of that to get some liquid in him. Then we were off again on the highway.

Now I must insert that during this month Papa has had two heart episodes. He didn't go to the hospital but he was in enough pain he called for my support. His INR readings have vacillated between blood too thick and blood too thin, never in the acceptable range. As I left him in his apartment, he was so very happy to be in his chair and resting. But he kept thanking me for that wonderful day on the road enjoying the countryside, the blossoming trees in the spring, the lay of the land as the trees get ready to fill in with leaves and those views will then be different. He was a happy and very tired man.

When I got home that night I reflected on that possibility that he could very easily have gone over the edge. It was all too close for me. 

I called Papa the next night to be sure he had taken his 6pm medications. We talked about the joy of the drive again. Then I told him my thoughts after our visit to Broken Leg Falls. I told him I thought about the fact I could have been the reason my father was at a place where he fell over the edge of a cliff and died. I told him I was feeling very bad about that until my mind caught hold of the next thought. It was, "At least he was doing something he really enjoyed and had one more adventure." Then Papa and I laughed at that. It was okay.  We did have a good ride. 

Saw a man walking up and down in front of Wendy's with a real wooden, life-sized cross on his shoulder. He was wearing a fatigue jacket. No sign to tell us the reason he was walking. It was the beginning of Easter weekend but there was no church in sight. You never know what you will find on a drive like that. But it was beautiful and a good day for both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment