Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Bloom Where You Get Yourself Planted...

So...I backed out of my driveway to go to Georgetown a couple days ago. As I turned on Eagle Bend, I noticed a bright color to the left in front of our home. Sure enough, in the ditch was this hardy little fella. 
It is trying really hard to work into Spring around here. And there are signs of it happening all around. Buds coming out on trees. The Star Magnolias in front of the apartments near Papa are laden with beautiful white blossoms. Things look a little greener. But this little guy surprised me.

This is the ditch in front of our home. We had some extra day lilies given to us by our daughter. Claude and I both love the day lilies along the sides of the road in Kentucky that just seem to have made their way into the ditches somehow. They are gorgeous in bloom. So we put those extra day lilies in the ditch in front of our home. They are nice to have but we really should have thought the weeding of them a bit better before we did the planting. 

If I had seen day lily shoots coming out of the ground I would not have been surprised. But this little guy just got there himself and burst into bloom. Hence, my surprise to find him in the place where I expect day lilies.

I just love this. It reminds be of that old saying "Bloom where you are planted!" That is always an encouraging thought to me. Make the most of your situation. Excel at whatever you are given. Sometimes you aren't quite happy with where you are planted but you can always make it a bit better. And the doing of hard things is what makes us stronger and teaches us lessons. It polishes us. I don't know what this little guy did to actually grow in the ditch. I planted no bulbs there for him. But I love that he took root and is brightening our little spot of the world.

Lessons learned from a single little flower in an interesting place.

No comments:

Post a Comment