Sunday, March 26, 2017

Just Plain Silly...

Sunday, March 19th, Claude was to speak in the Beaumont Ward (congregation). He needed someone to speak with him and asked if I might do that. The topic was the Plan of Salvation. Love this topic and was very happy to get to speak with Claude. 

Since we teach this in the first Temple Preparation Class, we opted to divide the topic as we do in that class, I would take Pre-Mortal life, the Fall, the Creation and Mortal Life. Claude would take Death, Resurrection and Eternal Life. I gave a talk on the Plan of Salvation in 2016 in two other wards. So I retrieved those notes, our notes from teaching the Temple Preparation class and the General Conference address we were given. It was just a delight to prepare that talk. Things just flowed and, when I finished, I read it out loud and it took 13 minutes. That was just about right. 

I had a conversation with Claude asking him how long I needed to give myself on a Sunday morning to get to the building in Lexington in time for a 9am beginning to the meeting. I set my alarm. Got up Sunday morning after Claude. He had meetings before this in Lexington so he was long gone when I got up and got ready. I left at 8am which should have been plenty of time...right? An hour for a 30-45 minute drive?

I arrived at the Tates Creek building at 8:47. Parked and strolled through the building to the chapel. There I saw Pres. Krebs shaking hands with people. The alarms went off in my head. This was a ward in the Lexington Stake. I was at the wrong building!!! It was now just 10 minutes until time for the Beaumont Ward to begin their meeting and it was a 20 minute drive at least to the other side of Lexington. Oh My!! I raced to my car, sent Claude a quick text that I was at the wrong building and was on my way. Then I hopped in my car and told Heavenly Father I would be breaking some speed limits but I still hoped for his help to get there safely. Yeah, right. Oh My!

I chose my path for what I thought would be the quickest drive and away I sped. Most lights were in my favor and I even found a parking space right by Claude in the Sir Barton building parking lot. 

When I entered the building, they had already started, of course. I entered the back of the chapel and found a seat on the opposite side near the back of the chapel. Claude happened to be at the pulpit performing some stake business. He saw me and continued on with the things he was assigned to do. As he turned to take his seat, he simply said into the microphone, "Come on up here Sandi!" All eyes turned. I dutifully but cheerfully made my way quickly to the stand and sat by Claude and the congregation enjoyed a bit of a giggle. 

It was an interesting beginning to my Sunday. I knew Claude would find humor in this. When the Lexington Stake got large enough several years ago, one of the wards in our stake still met in the Alumni building. That was the Beaumont Ward. All the time I was the Stake Relief Society president, that is where I went to visit them. After I was released, they made the change and moved all Lexington North Stake wards to the Sir Barton building and all the Lexington Stake ward to the Alumni building. I had not visited Beaumont since that change was made. So, mentally, they were still in the Alumni building. Goodness me. It was all very cute and just plain silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment