Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Snow Just Won't Quit...

Last winter we had precious little snow. You could have swept it away with a brown. No shoveling. This winter it has not ever been really deep here in Sadieville but it has often started with a layer of ice or had layers of snow and then ice and then snow. Makes it a bit treacherous to drive in. And, I am getting to an age where walking on it is concerning as well. Really don't want anymore falls in my life.

On Tuesday, March 20th, I went into town for a strep test. I have allergies to pollens and the trees were budding out and I had been reacting to that I thought. Then I woke up that Tuesday morning with a sore throat and thought maybe it was something more than allergies. Since I can't be sick and be able to visit Papa, I determined I would ask for a quick strep test to be sure it was just allergies. Sure enough, it was just allergies. Yippee!! I do not enjoy anything about being sick. 

Off to visit Papa and then back home. Claude and I were planning to drive to Louisville to attend a session at the temple. But the little bits of ice started to fall as I was pulling in the driveway so we abandoned that plan and determined staying off the icy roads was a better idea. It wasn't long before Claude got alerts on his phone of wrecks on the Interstates and in Lexington and Georgetown. I do believe we made the correct call. 

Here are some pictures of the snowfall we received with a nice layer of ice under it. I posted these on Facebook with the comment that it was the last snow for this winter season. Someone else commented, "Are you sure?" and I responded, "The power of positive thinking."
Wouldn't you know it, Saturday the 24th we received snow again!! I posted a brief video of the snow falling in our back yard on Facebook with the comment, "So much for positive thinking!"

Now here we are after Easter with Derby Day coming up this Saturday. What is the forecast. Some snow on Friday and more on Saturday with an accumulation of 2" to 4". While this is something our friends who receive feet of snow will scoff at, I have come to feel we don't need to compare apples to oranges. I don't live where they do and this snow with ice under, in or on top of it, is much more concerning to drive on than snow that is plowed away and is only snow. I have lived in both areas and dealt with both and that is my unhumble opinion and I am sticking to it. 

To add concern, my Christmas present from Claude was a ticket to Time Out for Women. When they come to Cincinnati every other year I love to go. I drive up and back each of the two days they are here and just fill my cup with great music and profound words of wisdom. And...I get to do that drive on snow!! Ugh. 

Claude and I were wondering about all those ladies who purchase the big hats and the sleeveless spring dresses to go to the Derby. Louisville has the same forecast as Cincinnati. Wonder if they are all having coats made to match their dresses to accommodate. And, how will that look with snow boots to walk around in???  Ain't life grand!

No comments:

Post a Comment