Thursday, March 21, 2019

Windy, Very, Very Windy...

Thursday, March 14th would be a very, very, very windy day. Claude and I had a dinner appointment in Lexington at 5:30pm. Then we had a meeting following that at 7pm also in Lexington. The plan was for Claude to go to his afternoon meeting in Lexington and just stay in Lexington. I would go visit Papa in the afternoon, then drive to Lexington and meeting him to go to our dinner appointment. 

I enjoyed a morning at home to get things done in my sewing room. I went upstairs to get ready to go out for the rest of the day and planned to leave our home about 2pm to go visit Papa. After getting ready, I opened the door from the kitchen to the garage and reached around and pressed the button to open the garage door. No response. Hmmmm.... Maybe I didn't press it just right. I pressed that button again and still, no response. I went back into the kitchen and looked at the stove and the microwave. They each have clocks on them. They were blank. That could only mean no power in our all electric home. This happened as I was walking from our bedroom, through the living room, through the breakfast room and kitchen to the garage door. The problem--I couldn't open the garage door as it is electric. We have had it worked on and I didn't know how to do it manually. I could get out my front door but that didn't give me a car to get to Georgetown. 

I sat down in my living room and popped a text to Kentucky Utilities telling them there was an outage at our home. Then you are to wait at least ten minutes before you text status back to see if they can tell you about when you should get electricity again. In the meantime, I sent a text to Claude telling him I was trapped in our home. 

I picked up my crochet project and set to work. There was plenty of light coming in the windows so I could at least get some more done on that project. As I sat there I kept hearing what sounded like a train going around my home. I would look out the window and there was no train on the tracks across the creek. This was just a very forceful wind blowing outside. I was reminded that tornadoes sound like trains and grateful we didn't have the tornado warning siren going off. 

When Claude's meeting finished, he sent me a text saying he would come and get me for the dinner appointment. Not long after getting that text the power came back on in the house. I still waited for Claude. This would mean only one car out on the roads in that wind. 

Claude got me and we made it back to Lexington in time to get a box of paper at Staples before our dinner appointment. We enjoyed a nice dinner with the Horwinski's. Then we all went to our Self-Reliance Committee meeting at 7pm. The wind was still raging but no rain yet. 

We made it through the meeting with no rain and we all hurried to our cars to try and get to our respective homes before that rain came. I sent a quick text to our kids reminding them of when we lived in Maryland. There was a reporter named Wendy Reager with the news channel we loved. They sent poor Wendy to Ocean City, Maryland to report on a storm. She is doing all she can do to stand up against the wind and report on the potential for the storm. Finally she did the most funny thing. Into her microphone she said, "This is a butt kickin' wind!!" I assured my kids we were having butt kickin' winds.

Before we got home the rains came down in torrents. You couldn't hardly hear in the Jeep for all the noise of rain on the car. Claude even slowed way down to be able to drive in that wind and rain. We only had about 3 or 4 more miles to go. We were both ever so grateful as we pulled into Eagle Bend knowing our garage was close and hoping the electricity was still on.

The electricity was on and we watched the news. The picture of the wind that struck me most was a family home with their trampoline stuck in the roof. Yep... this was definitely a butt kickin' wind!!

No comments:

Post a Comment