Sunday, August 11, 2019

Sweet Sabbath Moments...

Every Sunday morning I offer a quick little prayer and ask Heavenly Father to help be feel and learn from just one things that happens at Church. To help me fill my cup a little bit. Today I was richly blessed.

Each Sunday the Sacrament is offered during Sacrament Meeting. The young men perform this ordinance. The Deacons (12-13 years old) and Teachers (14-15 years old) pass the bread and water in turn to the congregation. The Priests (16-17 years old) bless the bread and water and hand it to the Deacons and Teachers to pass. It is a quiet time to reflect on our baptismal covenants, the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and focus on where we are in the Plan of Salvation and what we need to do to be better. 

This Sunday Spencer Hanson, who has Down's Syndrome, blessed the bread. His speech is often blurred but he spoke carefully and deliberately as he read the prayer over the bread. These are prayers that must be word perfect. Spencer would read a sentence or phrase and the Priest standing beside him would repeat it so we could each hear. It was the most tender moment in time. First, when you hear those prayers which you hear every Sunday read in such a deliberate manner, the words sink down into your heart as you pay closer attention to them. Second, I was keenly aware that we are all Heavenly Father's children and he loves each of us and wants us each to serve to our best ability. With the help of Spencer's friends, he is able to perform this sacred ordinance and every heart was truly touched today. Grateful for that Sweet Sabbath Moment.

One of the speakers today was Christina Holt. She just returned from her mission to Japan. She bore her sweet testimony of the most important lesson she learned as she tried to learn to speak Japanese fluently and serve Heavenly Father's children in Japan. The lesson she learned was Charity, the Pure Love of Christ. She learned that when she looked at people through the eyes that Christ would look at them, she was able to feel what he wanted her to do to teach and serve them. This is such a profound lesson and would benefit the world over is we each did that. I loved her bearing a brief testimony in Japanese at the end of her talk. I loved the reminder that Charity Never Faileth. Grateful for that Sweet Sabbath Moment.

I spent the afternoon with my father. After taking him back to the nursing home, I headed home on Highway 25. In front of me were two big Harley Davidson motorcycles. A man was driving each bike and each had a lady as his passenger. As I drove behind them, I watched one of the men drop his hand and pat the leg of his lady. I remembered how many times Claude and I would ride and he would be having a moment of feeling good about things. Then he would reach back and pat my leg. It was always as good as a hug and/or kiss. I knew what he was feeling and I knew what I was feeling right back. It was good to have that Sweet Sabbath Moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment