Saturday, August 5, 2023

Time for a Quick Road Trip in Kentucky...Day 4, The Journey Home...

All journey's must come to an end. This Quick Kentucky Road Trip would have to do the same. Thursday, August 3rd, we pointed the Buick toward Georgetown for the drive home. We filled those cups with our liquid of choice and ate our bagels for breakfast again this morning as we started our journey home. 

The plan was to try the Kentucky Country Music Highway. That is basically Hwy 23 going north from Prestonsburg. We had done the southern portion going back and forth to Pikeville. 
However, our day promised to be a wet one.
We would have bits of sunshine as the day wore on, but it was foggy and wet to begin. We wanted to visit Butcher Holler where Loretta Lynn was raised. This was about 30 minutes from Prestonsburg. Now, I made this trip by myself years ago when Claude was at Jenny Wiley Resort for training. As we drove these winding little roads way back into the hills, Claude was amazed I did this by myself. I assured him I had a bit of Mimi's blood in me that leads me to do things like this. 

You first visit Webb's Store. This is owned by the family. You are supposed to pay $5 per person to visit the home site. However, Webb's Store was closed as it was when I visited alone. We head up Butcher Holler further anyway and found the home place. There is now a locked gate and we could only get this much of a glimpse. 
We were okay with all of this. Claude wound his way back to Highway 23. I found a bit of a different way so we were still headed north and didn't have to backtrack. Then we followed Hwy 23 to I-64. Along that road we passed this imposing power plant.
Once on I-64, we drove on to a Hardee's in Grayson for a spot of lunch. Little did I know that now Hardee's has collectable ketchup packets!!
We arrived back in Georgetown and took all that junk mail out of the mailbox. It was nice to be back in our home. You really appreciate what you create as your home after being away from it for a few days. We had a great trip. We found out Claude is up for a bit of traveling. Another milestone in his recovery. We totally enjoyed seeing and learning new things. Had some great meals at different places. It was good fun for us to Be On the Road Again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment