Saturday, December 9, 2023

I Shall Repent...

In August of this year, I decided not to put all my journaling into my Blog. Then, I made a huge oops and have determined there are benefits to having my journal in this electronic format as well as saving the entries as Word files on my laptop. I will go back to doing most of my journaling as my Blog. Some very personal items will not be on this Blog. 

My oops was creating a journal entry for the days November 16th to November 21st titled "Louisville Youth Orchestra and Onward to Thanksgiving". When I went to create my Thanksgiving entry, I overwrote the LYO entry with the intent to do a Save As and give it a new name. I was interrupted and quickly hit Save and lot the LYO entry. UGH!! I shall recreate what I can of it below. 

Thursday, November 16th, the Elkhorn Creek Ward Relief Society has an activity at Malibu Jack's. It was a bowling activity. I went to support but with grave concerns about my ability to do this activity. Too much arthritis in my knees and other parts of my body. There were not a lot of us there and I did bowl three games. My highest score was 86. It was great fun to try my hand at this again. I love to bowl.

I took this picture and sent it to Claude to see if he could tell which ball I picked. Mine was the bright green one on the top left. That is the color of Claude's Jeep.

After bowling, I headed back home and told Claude I did bowl and enjoyed it. I even suggested we might try to bowl once a week for fun and a different kind of exercise. 

The next day I could hardly move. My left knee was very much a problem. It couldn't hardly support me as I walked. I don't think regular bowling is in our future. The left knee has continued to be a problem to this day. 

Our Lexington North Stake Conference was over Saturday, November 18th and Sunday, November 19th. Claude led a group session with the Communications Council Saturday afternoon. I did a very brief presentation on Connect Community. Then I attended the Relief Society training session.

Saturday evening we attended the adult session. The highlight for me was a talk by Elman Blair. He is the cutest senior citizen you every met. His wife, Mavice, passed away a couple of years ago. They were the ideal couple. Elman shared his love of the Savior and how he stays close to him through music. Specifically, very old country/Bluegrass music. In the evenings, after he watches the 10pm news, he will put in tapes of Bluegrass Gospel music and let the tears flow as he thinks of all the blessings of being a disciple of Jesus Christ. His daughter wrote a poem to him and Mavice while she served her mission as a Christmas present to them. Mavice asked Elman to set it to music, which he did. Elman played this off a cassette tape for all to hear. He is singing. For a moment, I was back at the nursing home singing along with Papa to this type of music. It was a very sweet moment. I went to Elman after the meeting and gave him a hug. I explained how his music gave me this sweet moment. It was a tender time for each of us. 

Sunday, November 19th, after stake conference in the morning, Claude and I went to Louisville to listen to our Bailey. She has been accepted and is participating with the Louisville Youth Orchestra. She goes every Sunday afternoon for a two hour practice. This was their first public performance. 

Claude and I arrived a bit early. There is a parking lot across the street from the Brown Theatre in Louisville where the performance was held. We missed the parking lot and Claude was driving to a spot he could turn around. As we neared the corner, I realized I saw Bailey and a friend out taking fun pictures of themselves. I rolled down the Jeep window and yelled "Smile, Baby Girl!" Bailey looked up to see who in the world was yelling at her. Then...she saw the bright green Jeep and knew immediately it was her grandparents. Fun!

We went in and found four seats in the balcony one the second row from the edge. Bailey told us where she would be sitting and this seemed to be the best vantage point. Andie and Michael arrive. Claude stood up as he likes to sit on the aisle. Michael went down to the fifth seat. I asked Andie if she wanted an empty seat between us for coats. She looked at me surprised and said, "No. Michael is leaving a seat for Hayden." I now looked surprised. Did not know they went to set Hayden on Friday. He is home from DePaul for his winter break. Doesn't have to go back until the beginning of January.

When Hayden came in, I got my big Hayden hug. Hayden's first question was, "Do you have bagels for Thanksgiving?" I told him we did not. He said, "Can you fit that situation?" We both had a chuckle. Our young man loves blueberry bagels. We try to have them on hand if Hayden is spending the night. We did put them on the grocery list and had them when Hayden came for Thanksgiving.

The concert was excellent. It seems they sort the kids the admit to the program into three groups. Bailey is in the middle group (Repertory Orchestra) and hopes to get good enough for the top group. She really loves playing and being in an orchestra. 
Over Halloween, they had a costume contest. Bailey dressed as her band director! How fun is that? She tells me he was really cool with it and enjoyed the costume.
Claude had two Zoom calls that evening. We left quickly after the performance and made it to the Love's Station at Waddy where we sat in the parking lot and ate McDonald's little burgers while he participated on his cell phone. Then we hurried back to Georgetown and arrived just in time for him to participate in the second call on his laptop. Whew!!

Monday, November 20th, I visited Velvett Bossio. This is a sweet friend I have not seen for a long time. She has not been to church for many months and I was very concerned. It was so fun to visit about two hours with her. She was in the throes of decorating her home for their family Thanksgiving dinner. They dress in Sunday best. The table is set with the best china and silverware. Velvett and her girls all decorate to the nine's. She even took salt and pepper shakers and put rhinestones them. She is suffering from the effects of chemo for her breast cancer seven years ago. She has been on a maintenance medication and it is destroying her body. I ache for this sweet friend but she stays positive in adversity and that is a huge example for me. 

Tuesday, November 21st, was a day to complete some preparation for a house full of company over Thanksgiving. We did a final grocery run of all the perishable things. I did the laundry and the ironing so that area could be free for guests. In the evening, we decided we didn't want any leftovers in the fridge before Thanksgiving, so McAlister's would get out money for dinner that evening. We ordered our food and went to find a table. Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!! Dusty and Valorie Hanson were sitting at a corner table just finishing their dinner. It is always so nice to run into friends in the town in which you live. 

And that brings us to the next post and Thanksgiving weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment