Thursday, December 14, 2023

Getting Closer to Christmas and One More Date...

Tuesday, December 12th, was a delightful day for me. We started our morning with a biscuit run. Then we were off to Winchester, Kentucky. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is made a donation to two organizations who run food banks. Claude is over communications for our Stake and needed to pick up the checks until they are presented to these two organizations. We use Google Maps to find places. However, I turn the sound down and verbally give Claude notices as to lanes to be and and distance until a turn. It seems that works better for Claude than listening to the nice ladies' voice from Australia. I did get a biscuit, so I will not complain!!

We returned home and I waited for a little bit before I was out on my own. I would start with errands to the Post Office. While there I saw the cutest tree. I love this little tree. I am sure it based on Charlie Brown's Christmas. But as I looked at the tree and had a nice conversation with the lady behind me in line about all the hubbub of Christmas, I kept saying, "This tree can teach us a lot of lessons at this time of year." I posted the picture on Facebook with my impression that I could learn a lot about celebrating with this tree teaching me. Tw people responded with laughter, 4 people responded with a heart and 18 people responded with like. I talked to the lady in line about how much I love my Christmas tree being up all month. Its lights are turned on first thing in the morning and only turned off if we leave the house or go to bed. Sitting in our living room at night with those lights is very soothing to me. The tree is laden with memories. I told her it gets harder to put the tree up but I will do that, if nothing else, for as long as I can. I love that Claude and I try to find 12 Dates of Christmas. We are building wonderful memories as we attend to lots of different types of Christmas events. I love that this year I really trimmed down what I bought and spent for Christmas. I love that we downsized Christmas decorations when we moved so we could enjoy them but not kill ourselves off putting so much up. I believe there are things each of us enjoy at Christmas that helps us feel that holiday spirit and remember the Birth of our Savior. That might be different for each of us. But this little tree made me pause and assess how Claude and I are handling this season of the year. Thanks little tree!!
I went to my favorite Old Lady Store to see if they had anything I might buy to wear this coming Sunday. Claude and I have been invited to sing a song at the Lexington Kentucky North Stake Christmas Devotional. I was so happy I found a purple velvet tunic to wear with a black skirt. Nothing fancy. In fact, it was on sale for $8. And...it is purple!! 

Next to Walmart to pick up my free pair of earrings. When I had my ears pierced, the purchase price included a free pair of earrings each month. I didn't get them for the first few months. Last month I did get a card with several pair on it in different colors. This time I got a new pair of gold loop earrings. Next month I will get a pair of silver loop earrings. Then I think I will quit. 

I walked back into Walmart's women section to see what kind of Christmas shirts they have this year. Nothing. I had great luck last year and was able to replace a shirt that was worn out with a nice one I really love. Maybe next year. 

As I exited the store, I noticed a woman in one of the electric scooters who looked familiar. I stopped and looked at her. She caught my eye and looked at me. Then we knew we did know each other. Years ago I was in the Countryside Homemakers Club when we lived in Sadieville. Kathy was one of the original members. She and I loved the crafts we did. We talked for a good while. After we said goodbye, I found two other friends from Church leaving Walmart and got hugs from them. It felt so good to see old friends and catch up.

I next delivered a birthday present to a friends. She was a lady I visited each month when we first moved to Kentucky. Her life has been particularly difficult. I made a habit of giving her a little something on her birthday the years I visited her. We kept us the tradition and she enjoys that little bit of kindness.

Then I got a haircut. Hallelujah!! 

In the evening, I received a phone call from Veronica Holt. She works with the Activity Day girls in the Georgetown Ward. The girls really wanted to go caroling for their activity. Veronica knew we were near the Church and they wouldn't have a lot of time to drive very far. I assured her we would be home. They came between 7 and 8pm. So full of enthusiasm and cheer. It was delightful. They sang several songs and let me take a picture of them. The left a plate with some treats on it. It was wonderful.
The rest of the evening I sat in front of the television and made gifts cards shaped like hands. Our Relief Society is giving little hand lotions to each sister this coming Sunday. Our president bagged the lotions and a few bits of candy. I made the gift tags to go on the bags. The little quote says, "Blessed are those that have one hand held by God and the other by a friend." 
Wednesday, December 13th, I was up before Claude. I went to work putting the gift tags on the little bags. They turned out really cute.
Claude and I worked at projects in our home until 2pm. Then we left for Lexington. Time for another of those 12 Dates of Christmas!

This one started with a meal at BD Mongolian Grill. Great food but their prices have skyrocketed. 

Then we went across Sir Barton Way to the Regal Cinemas. We had tickets to see "The Chosen". 
The director of this movie started out making a little film about the birth of Christ from the shepherds point of view. It was made for his church congregation. It was well received. He then made another one from Mary and Joseph's perspective. Two different movies. Two different crews. This year they decided to combine both movies into the story from Luke 2 about the birth of the Savior. In addition, they had musical performances before and after these combined movies as well as two talks about the story of Christ. It was inspiring.

The first musical number was "How Great Thou Art" by the Bonner Family. I saw them at the last Time Out for Women I attended. They are excellent. They were followed by One Voice Children's Choir singing "What Child Is This?" Then Mark Maher, a vocalist from Canada, sang "Hark, The Herald Angel's Sing". It was really kind of hip bluegrass version. Finally, Brandon Lake sang "Gratitude". I was again reminded that seeing lots of tattoos and piercings doesn't mean a person doesn't have strong feelings about the Savior and his role in their life. After these numbers, the movie played. Very touching and though provoking. After the movie, Andrea Bocelli and his son, Matteo, sang "O Holy Night". Oh man, I could listen to them sing all night long! The final musical number was "Joy to the World" by Phil Wickham with all of the featured sings backing him up. 

Claude and I really appreciated and enjoyed these performances. We thought we were going for a simple movie and were treated to much, much more.

Katelyn posted some pictures of her girls. First came Emelia getting ready and riding the bus to school.
Next, Katelyn cut her girls hair. Brave mother this one! She did a great job. Raelyn and Emelia in their new haircuts.
Thursday, December 14th, I managed to get Claude Christmas letter to two pages with pictures I felt we should add of our adventures this year. We usually don't add pictures. This year, I thought it would be a good idea. 

Claude had an ophthalmologist appointment. He was pronounced good. But...he knew that already! Then he spent part of the family fortune at the grocery store to get some of the things that are non-perishable we will need to Christmas and New Year's Eve. 

Now, I hope to have a quiet evening because tomorrow, the wheels fall off the bus!!

No comments:

Post a Comment