Saturday, December 9, 2023

Thanksgiving & the Aftermath…

Wednesday, November 22nd, all things were as ready as they could be. Family would begin to arrive in the afternoon. This would be the Ropers: Katelyn, Drew, Raelyn, Emelia, Joel, Kennedi and Nikki (their exchange student from Italy). They would have spent 7+ hours in a car. Needless to say, the kids were ready to be out and about. We first did a tour of our little home so everyone would be comfortable moving about and finding things they needed.

Raelyn found the little box with barrettes and elastics for their hair in the guest bedroom. It wasn’t long before she had my hair done is quite nicely. I wore it this way for the remainder of the day.
Emelia would also find this little box of barrettes and elastics and filled her hair with barrettes as well. Eventually Joel also wanted barrettes in his hair. Oh My!
Joel found Grampa’s guitar. Claude let him play with a pick on the strings. Of course, the pick fell inside the guitar. Grampa would hide the guitar in our bedroom after letting Joel have his time to get familiar with the guitar.
There were several times the piano was played. This is Nikki and then Raelyn trying their hand at the piano.
Kennedi is our latest edition to our family. She was born in April and is the tiniest mite. But she is crawling and pulling herself up. She is learning to eat soft foods from the table. No teeth yet. For the most part, Kennedi is happy and will go to everyone.
Raelyn holding Kennedi, Claude and Kennedi, and Kennedi sleeping in Claude’s arms.

This first night we had Sandiland for Raelyn and Emelia to sleep in. We took the rugs from the sides of our bed and the guest bedroom bed and moved them to Sandiland for a softer floor on which to lay. The girls got blankets and pillows and I turned on the moon globe and they were content to begin their night in this room. Kennedi had the Pack ‘n Play. Joel had the Pod Bed. These were both in the guest bedroom with Katelyn and Drew. This is Joel curled up in the Pod Bed. He seemed to like this space for himself.
Thursday, November 23rd, was Thanksgiving Day. The Marx family would join us during this day. We started this day with a new recipe, “Easy Cinnamon Roll Casserole”. It showed up on my Facebook page. I showed it to Claude. We agreed it was worth a try. We all enjoyed it very much. Even little Kennedi enjoyed some. This will now be the breakfast for Christmas morning. I got it from All Recipes. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/274483/easy-cinnamon-roll-casserole/
We were very happy the little great grands loved playing in the backyard. We opened the shed each day and took out the toys they wanted to play with that day. In the evening, we put them all back in the shed. It worked out very well. The kids loved have three areas with a table. At one point they had three cafes going at one time! Joel particularly liked the stepping stones up the hill. He even found the windmill and wanted people to hold him up so he could make the blades spin. 
I tried to intersperse some crafty things for the kids. One project was a Thanksgiving tablecloth. It was paper with things to color and games to play on it. I would count this a total bust. It was tried but not really embraced. Not an issue. It was a dollar store item.
We had another round of piano playing. Katelyn and her daughters, Raelyn and Emelia.
And our Emelia tried playing Apples to Apples by herself and was very happy with those results.
Raelyn loved searching my jewelry case for earrings. She picked out purple turtle ones my friend, Laura, gave me to wear on Thanksgiving Day.
The Marx family arrived in time for lunch, Andie, Michael, Hayden and Bailey. Hayden quickly got reacquainted with Kennedi. He saw her once before on one of his trips to check out DePaul University.
Raelyn made sure Hayden and Bailey were involved in the outside antics. Bailey was her unicorn. Not sure why but she tied up Hayden in the rocking chair.
The Marx family has traveled to Italy twice, once this summer. They actually visited Sicily. This is where Nikki is from. Andie showed Nikki where they were in Sicily. Turns out, they were only a couple of miles from Nikki’s home. They took a picture of a cat and Nikki knew the cat as it belonged to one of her friends. It is a very small world people, very small.
A highlight of the day for me was Andie setting up a video call with her siblings. Even though we were miles apart, I had all three of my kids visible at the same time. It was grand. I loved every minute of it. Jake and Andie kept playing with the backgrounds of the pictures and putting turkey faces on everyone. They even found some glasses to try on my picture in case I end up with glasses after this next ophthalmology appointment.
Nissa, Michael (out for a 4-mile walk), Jake, Andie, me, Claude and Katelyn. Lovin’ technology at this point!!

These pictures are Emelia taking a nap on her dad, Drew. At which point Drew took the opportunity for a nap. Joel couldn’t open and close the back door. We often found him looking longingly for someone to recognize his situation and open the door for him. Katelyn gave Kennedi a new type of stick to chew. She loved it. I polished Raelyn and Emelia’s fingernails with purple nail polish. Bailey needed to have some on her nails as well.
Now it was time to decorate turkey cookies. I baked them before anyone came. We had the decorating items out on the table. Andie took charge of putting the beak and legs on the birds. I doled out the candy corn and mini-chocolate chips. We had icing to put on the edge to hold the candy corns. This was a fun activity.
Claude was able to take a break from cooking. Don’t you love his Cincinnati WKRP t-shirt?
And Hayden found his beloved blueberry bagels.
Andie joined Joel outside. He picked up twigs from the yard and broke them up before putting them in the dishpan. 
Drew joined her outside to help Joel spin the blades on the windmill.
Sometime around 5pm we enjoyed our Thanksgiving feast of smoked turkey and fixin’s. Yum!! Andie brought turkey crowns for the littles to color and wear.
Poor little Joel was so worn out, he had a very hard time just sitting up awake to try and eat. We got good video of him nodding off. So cute and fun.
We learned that we would have an earlier bedtime with this company. I headed to bed each night about 9:30. Thanksgiving night we had a bit of adult swim before going to bed and after the littles were all in bed. This night the Marx’s family stayed overnight. Bailey took the sofa in the study, Hayden took the brown leather chair, Nikki kept the living room sofa, Michael and Andie had an air mattress in Sandiland and the entire Roper family took the guest bedroom.

Friday, November 24th, we started our day with pancakes, bacon and eggs.

The morning activity was Play-Doh. It should be noted that this Play-Doh has been in the shed for over two years. Not sure how long before that it was in the basement in Sadieville. I wasn’t even sure if the Play-Doh was soft enough to create anything. As it turns out, there were two little containers that were hard. The others provided a long period of entertainment.
While the Play-Doh activity continued, more food was consumed and horses were ridden.
When lunch time arrived, Claude had everyone head to the backyard. I cleared the tables and set up the toppings. Claude started the fire pit he had filled with sticks as he cleaned the yard after storms throughout the year. He brought out the smoked hot dogs and they were roasted over the fire. Everyone that wanted to, helped with the roasting over the fire. Once the hot dogs were consumed, we brought out the Smore’s fixin’s and started to roast marshmallows. Emelia went over to Claude after her Smore and gave him a thumbs up on the Smore’s. Claude was delighted.
The clouds began to cover the sky and the temperature dropped. No rain was in the forecast, but it looked and felt like rain was coming in. We picked up everything in the back yard and headed inside.

The trains and tracks were brought in and a play area for them was set up in the entry way. Tiny home. We had to be creative to fit us all in comfortably. No one was going to leave so the entryway was the perfect area and it flowed into the study.
Our Michael grew up with a family that played games. Card games were a particularly fun thing for them. My dear hubby doesn’t play games. But Katelyn learned card games as a child with David’s family. She and Michael started to play and others joined in the fun. Joel really wanted to play so he was given the Joker cards to play with.
Bailey loves Harry Potter. We have all the movies. Last Thanksgiving she stayed after her family left and we had a Harry Potter Fest with her. We watched all the Harry Potter movies over a couple of days and then returned her home to LaGrange. With the Ropers in house, we couldn’t quite do that this year. But, Bailey got the movies out and started to watch them with those interested.
Some sweet snuggles were enjoyed.
Then, it was time for Pee Pee Bear. This is a terra cotta bear we brought back from China. It stayed in a plastic container in our fridge that is filled with water. It stays cold and absorbs the water. When it is time to play, we set him on a towel on the counter, pour a little boiling water over his head and out from his little penis comes a stream of water that arches over and down the counter. This is to the delight of the little kids. Even the grown ups smile at this little gem. Some of our family had already experienced Pee Pee Bear. But the little ones from Michigan and Nikki from Italy had not. It was a delight. There is a video clip of this.
Dinner this evening was Frito Supper. This was followed by Tim Tam Slams. We had already shared this with the Marx family. Bailey LOVES Tim Tams. I tasked her with helping all the others to learn how to do Tim Tam Slams. She jumped right in and everyone had fun trying this way to eat Tim Tams.
After dinner, I caught a glimpse of Andie giving Raelyn a reading lesson. Then the Marx’s (without Bailey) headed back to LaGrange. Bailey wanted to stay a little longer. She would use my laptop to get some homework done.

To do a weekend like this requires a LOT of food. I carefully prepared the grid a couple of weeks ahead. Claude and I put in the basics of what we wanted for meals each day. I left the printed copy of the grid on the counter in the kitchen. We added to it as we thought of things and Claude made lists of ingredients needed on the back. This helps us not forget to do or have some things as the weekend goes by. It also helps the purchasing to be as close as possible to what is actually needed.

When I took the pictures off my cellphone camera and put them on my laptop, I found three I didn’t know were taken. I am thinking Bailey and Katelyn were having a little fun. They did manage to get Claude and I in the process of preparing another round of food for our guests. These three pictures were taken Saturday, November 25th as we were preparing breakfast of biscuits and gravy. Drew was looking forward to this breakfast.
After breakfast, we did some cutting of Katelyn and Joel’s hair.

The Ropers packed up their belongings and loaded their car. The plan was to leave our home about 11am and head to KFC for lunch with them before they hit the road. Alas, Katelyn could not find the car keys. She and Drew searched through their packed car. We all joined in searching through the house. No car keys. Drew went out one more time to check their suitcase. He found the keys in the cooler. It seems Katelyn must have laid them there are she prepared their to go stuff and there they stayed. Whew!!

Bailey stayed at the house and worked on her homework white the Ropers and Claude and I went to KFC. You see, Nikki goes to KFC in Sicily and wanted to have the experience of going to KFC in the States and especially while in Kentucky. We all had a good meal and then the Ropers were ready to head home to Michigan.
We returned home to find Bailey had finished her homework. Claude went to bed for a much needed nap. Bailey and I curled up in front of the television and watched two more Harry Potter DVD’s. Claude joined us in finishing the second one. Then we loaded her in our car and headed to LaGrange to return her to her home and parents.

As we reflected on this Thanksgiving, we felt great gratitude for having family around. I was particularly grateful to get to chat with all three of my kids at one time. We were very grateful the weather held good and the great grands were able to enjoy the back yard so much. We are grateful for the memories created and the love shared. It was a very full Thanksgiving this year.

Sunday, November 26th, Claude and I were worn completely out. My sore hip from bowling was really acting up. We opted to sleep in and not attend church. Totally out of character for us but we both were okay with giving our bodies a chance to catch up. We had breakfast together and then we set to gathering up toys and piling up bedding and laundry. The rain started to come so we hunkered down in our little home and puttered at things. I started this journal entry. Claude got his nap. And I managed to get a lot of loads of bedding through the washer and dryer. In the evening we curled up in front of the television and watched more of our Psych and I did a little crocheting. It was a lazy day in many ways but it allowed us to get a handle on our lives with just the two of us again. We would be ready to the coming week.

Monday, November 27th, was an adventure. I was up before Claude and got a few things done that were quiet so I didn’t wake him up. I got ready and headed to a 10am appointment with Dr. Fine, my podiatrist. Then I hurried home to switch the laundry again and get some tickets purchased for events we want to attend this holiday season. Claude is wanting to try to get 12 Dates of Christmas in again this year. Then I went to Dan Cummins for an oil change in my Buick. I had a coupon for Kohl’s so I went there to get a few more Christmas presents. Then I headed home. That is when the wheels fell off my bus!!

I left Kohl’s and got on 460 headed into Georgetown. It crosses the 460 by-pass. I got in the left turn lane and was the third car back in the turn lane. The light changed to the green arrow to turn left and my car went completely and totally dead. I tried to start it…absolutely nothing. I tried to move my seat...absolutely nothing. I tried to set my emergency flashers…absolutely nothing. I tried to call OnStar…absolutely nothing.

I called Claude on my cell phone and explained the situation.

I then called Dan Cummins. They had just done an oil change and found nothing wrong with the car. I talked to a service manager only to find he was at their dealership in Paris. Ugh!! He transferred me to the Georgetown Dan Cummins. I waited and waited.

A nice man pulled up beside and suggested I turn on my emergency flashers. I gestured that I had no power. We smiled and he drove on. I tried to roll down my passenger window during this interchange…absolutely nothing.

Finally, Michelle from the Georgetown Dan Cummins was on the phone. I explained my situation and asked if they had a charger they could bring over to get me going. She had to get the service manager.

He came on and I told him what was going on. He took my number and said he would call me back as soon as he found a way to help. I didn’t dare use my phone to call insurance as I wanted to be available when he called back.

Then I saw Claude at the corner. He had pulled into the Wendy’s parking lot and was trying to cross the street. He was going for the passenger side door. I could not unlock it or roll down its window. I gestured for him to come to my side. I could open my car door.

Then a wonderful police office pulled up behind me. Thank heavens. He had his flashers going to caution traffic. I explained my situation. He asked if he could get in my car and check some things. I assured him he could but I have short legs and I can’t get the seat to come back. He did his best. I told him we were waiting for Dan Cummins to try and help. He helped Claude and I across the street so we could sit in the Jeep and stay warm while he waited by my car.

Then Ronnie Bradford, the service manager from Dan Cummins came and put the charger on my battery and got the car going. Then he drove around the block and came into Wendy’s parking lot. He looked at the battery and knew immediately what the problem was.
A short while back, my car was not working in our garage at home when I went to drive somewhere. We figured it was the battery that needed to be replaced. We purchased my Buick in February 2017. The battery was the original. Claude went to Dan Cummins and purchased a battery. He brought it home and we found a YouTube video for my exact kind of car that showed how to install the battery. Claude did it and the car has run fine ever since. Until this day.

When Ronnie looked under the hood, he knew exactly what the problem was. There is a black plastic cap over one of the poles you attached to the cables. Claude had attached the cabling but had not taken the black plastic cap off before attaching it. Ronnie drove me back to Dan Cummins, got the right plyers, took the cabling off, removed the black cap, replaced the cabling and all was well. He didn’t charge me anything for all of this service. I am one very blessed Lady!!

This was a bit more excitement that my aging body needs. We are home for this evening. We have to try and find a piece of music tonight that we could sing in the Lexington North Stake Christmas Devotional. That should fill our evening nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment