Friday, May 6, 2011

Music & Quilt Squares...

Thursday afternoon I headed to Lexington. We have stake conference in two weeks and I'm playing the organ. I needed to find my stops and practice some music. I've never had organ lessons per se so I need to practice before I play.

I love going to practice like this. I find a time when no one will be in the building, hopefully, but me. Then I spend a couple of hours finding stops that sound like what I hope will be good with a building full of people and practicing actually playing the hymns, prelude and postlude. It is just a fun thing to do. However, after sitting on a organ bench for a couple of hours the blood circulation is cut off to your legs and you really need to get up and move around.

I treated myself to another salad a Fasoli's. They have a chopped Italian salad that I'm now quite fond of. Again, it was neat to sit in a restaurant with my salad, bread sticks and Sudoku book and have some time to myself.

The other thing I went to Lexington for was to go to a quilting shop and help with some squares we are making for a quilt for a lady in our ward (congregation) at Church. Karen has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and it is terminal. She is a quilter extraordinaire. The former Bishop of our ward has a sister who owns a quilting shop in Lexington. He had the idea for us to send in a thought or quote and use them to make quilt squares. They have a machine that will embroider your quote or thought on the square. What he needed help with was clipping all the ends of the threads.

I thought this quilting shop was on Richmond Road. This is a very fortunate location because it is across from Krispy Kreme donuts. I left Claude home last night and will leave him alone again tonight to have 'guy food'. I thought a treat of Krispy Kreme donuts would be a great thing to bring home to my hubby. So I stopped first at Krispy Kreme to get donuts.

Then I headed across the street to where I thought the quilting shop was located. I drove all around that little shopping center and found NO quilting shop. I pulled into a parking lot and call Nicole (wife of our former bishop) to ask where I should be since I was obviously not at the right location. Nicole pointed me in the right direction.

I headed there and spent the next couple of hours cutting threads. Anita Linares also came and it was great fun to chat with her as we snipped away at All-Those-Threads.  It felt good to do something for this surprise gift for Karen.

It was fun to have an afternoon and early evening to myself. My hubby was very happy having 'guy food' for his dinner and getting his donut treat for dessert.

Now I'm headed to Sadieville Christian Church for their dinner for the ladies before Mother's Day. Should be a nice evening with my neighbors.

No comments:

Post a Comment