Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Which Came First???

Sunday, May 15th was stake conference. It was also an awards program for Michael Marx. Michael referees soccer and was being honored for being such a great referee. This awards program was in Lexington.

After stake conference, we met the Marx family at the McDonald's near the stake center. We gave Michael and Andie Claude's Jeep in exchange for their van with 2 little grandmonsters inside. Who do you thing fared better in this deal?

We took Hayden and Bailey inside for their lunch while Andie and Michael headed off for an afternoon to themselves. Happy Meals were enjoyed by the kids.

Claude drove us to Sadieville for an afternoon of fun. It was a rainy day and I commented to the Mini's about the rain. Hayden broke into song, "Raindrops keep fallin' on my head..." I looked at Claude and he turned to look at me. We were surprised our little 6 year old knew the words to this song. He sang it all the way through with 'humms' in the appropriate places.

I asked Hayden if he would sing it again and I would record it on my phone. He obliged. I pressed the wrong button and lost his recording. Hayden sang again, I pressed the wrong button and thought I lost that recording as well. The third time he sang it he cautioned me about which button to push when he finished. I managed to press the appropriate button and we had a recording of Hayden singing. At some point I realized I had two recordings on my phone of Hayden singing this song. I said that out loud. Hayden said, "That's okay. You can keep one and send one to my mom and dad." I eMailed it to Michael and
Hayden was soooo happy with this process that he said, "Would you like me to sing the poem we had in school this week?" I assured him I would. I got my cell phone ready to record and Hayden sang the 'Mr. Sunshine' song. What fun.

Hayden also put on his Darth Vader mask. I got a shakey picture because of the car movement. Bailey, not to be outdone, wore it upside down for her picture. My comment on Facebook about this picture was..."The force is strong in our family this weekend!"
We started our afternoon with ice cream. Grampa had Dairy Queen Dilly Bars and Hayden and Bailey enjoyed these a lot.
Hayden wanted to be sure our VHS tapes were in alphabetic order so he and Claude went down to accomplish that chore while I stayed with Bailey.

Pretty soon we heard Hayden calling upstairs. He happened to find a cartoon version of "The Little Mermaid" on the VHS shelf. This is not the Disney one with Ariel. When Bailey finished her ice cream we all settled into the basement to watch this short movie.

We played with the cardboard blocks that look like bricks, Bailey had a tea party for us. Claude watched cupcake wars and Hayden and I picked the same favorite. We were very happy when she won the show. PlayDoh was pulled out and enjoyed. Crafts were colored. Hayden wanted Scooby Doo coloring pages which we found on the computer and printed for him. He ended up doing several and then had Claude help him make a book out of them. Later, at home Hayden would write the story on each page. It was a fun afternoon and evening.
Then we were off to take Hayden and Bailey back to Lexington to meet up with Michael and Andie. On the drive back Hayden asked, "Which came first, the nebula or the star?" I just burst out laughing. I explained to Hayden that the joke most people ask is, "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" He understood but still needed an answer to his question. That was our discussion all the way to Lexington.

Michael received a nice watch for all his hard work and being such a great soccer referee. A good time was had by all. Cars and kids were exchanged and we each headed back to our homes.

1 comment:

  1. CUTE!!! I can't wait till my parents can do those things with Rockwell!

    ReplyDelete