Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Veggies Please...

This morning was my Countryside Homemakers Club meeting. This is an off shoot of the Scott County Extension Service.

In our club the members take turns being the hostess each month. This month Faye was the hostess. She provides the meat or entree for the lunch after our meeting and the rest of us bring side dishes or desserts.  Hmmmm...what to take for ham.  There are sometimes as many as 15 ladies at this meeting and you try to think what might fit with the entree and what someone else might not bring, etc.

I couldn't think of anything. Then 'corn' came to mind. Okay, good thought Sandi, but what are you going to do with corn.

The thought crossed my mind to open a can and heat it up and take it. However, that didn't seem really homemakerish enough. I purchased bell peppers in four colors Monday when grocery shopping. I figured I would just add some to the corn and that would be pretty.

During the night last night I awoke with a flash of intellect.  Well, it could have been another of those lovely hot flashes that left me awake enough to think about the day and how to fill it best. Nonetheless, it was a flash and there was intellect in there somewhere.

I got up this morning and created my side dish first thing. I drained my can of corn and rinsed it in the strainer. While the water dripped out of it, I finely chopped 1/2 of each of  the four colors of bell pepper, thinly sliced at an angle some baby carrots, thinly sliced 2 green onions, and thickly sliced at an angle 1/2 bag of sugar snap peas. I add my drained can of corn and the rest of a bottle of light vinaigrette dressing and tossed it all together. Then I placed it in the fridge to chill and marinate while I spent the next two hours getting my treadmill walked and computer stuff done and my shower, etc.

I walked to Faye's home as she lives up the street. I gave her my corn salad and she placed it in her fridge.  Maybe it was because no else brought anything with green in it. But everyone loved the little corn salad. They all wanted the recipe. 

I brought one little serving home with me and kept it for Claude. He also pronounced it good when he came home. 

I think I have a keeper of a recipe and wanted to share with those who might read this and be interested. The secret, I'm thinkin', is that vinaigrette dressing.  We got it at Kroger.  It is made by Hendricks and is a light vinaigrette dressing. I'm not fond of a vinaigrette dressing usually because I find things that taste like vinegar too strong and acidy tasting. However, this particular vinaigrette has a light, almost sweet taste to it. It is perfect for this corn salad.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment