Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Genealogy, I Am Doing It...

Well, yesterday was the official beginning of a new chapter for my life.

For several years now Claude and Papa have been going to the Family History Center at the Alumni Building to serve a shift helping patrons as they needed it with their family history research. These patrons are members of the Church as well as lots of non-members who are very interested and dedicated in their family history research. When one or the other of them could not go, I have filled in. This was easy because I didn't really need to know anything. They were the 'experts', or at least knew the drill, to assist as needed. Really, they were a perfect match for this. Papa had been a family history center director years ago in Louisiana for several years. He knows all about doing on-site research in court houses, libraries, cemeteries, etc. He also knows all the reading equipment like microfilm and micro-fiche. Claude knows computers and how to use the New Family Search. Between the two of them they could usually help the patrons at the library find their answers.

During 2012 we have noticed that Papa has a harder time climbing in and out of the Jeep when Claude picks him up. But more importantly, Papa's back is so far gone that sitting up straight or standing for any length of time is prohibitive. Their shift is from 10am to 2pm the first, third and fifth Tuesday's of every month. That is a four hour shift of sitting in folding chairs. Papa has tried to take a break and go to the lobby of the Church and stretch out on the sofa for a bit but it just has not worked. Their last shift in May Papa voiced the idea that he might have to give up this work he loves so much. That is an indication to me of the pain he is actually in. Their first shift in June Papa actually told Claude he was going to call the Family History Center Director and ask her to find someone else to cover his shift. Papa tried to call and left messages on her home and cell phones. Claude told him he would also contact her via eMail.

Claude came home and we continued our conversation that started when Papa first voiced his concern about his back and continuing his work at the FHC. We determined that we would see if I could work with him, taking Papa's place. Claude contacted the FHC director and she was very happy we would cover this need.

So, yesterday was my first shift as a FHC consultant with my dear hubby. I've asked him to slowly teach me the things I need to know. I think I'll learn it better if we focus on one thing each time and not flood me with all of it at once.

So yesterday I learned how to open and close the FHC. We had a call about microfilm and I stood with Claude as he answered the ladies questions. Then we covered where the microfilm is stored and how to find what a patron might be looking for. There are actually two kinds. They have temporary loans which the patron orders on their own at home on-line or on one of the computers at the FHC. The patron uses the microfilm and then it is returned to Salt Lake City. They also have permanent loan which is stored in cabinets in the FHC.

We arrived at the meetinghouse, unlocked the door to go in and were immediately blown away by the odor. They were resurfacing the gym floor and the odor was overwhelming. We hurried to the FHC which is at the end of a hall by an outside exit.  Even in there the odor was powerful. We actually only stayed for 3 hours, then we left.

Since I've been systematically going through my sewing room cleaning out and setting in order to finish all my projects I've collected over the last 8 years, I determined I will use my time at the FHC to finish typing my mother's journal. I have a good start on this and it takes time so this four hour block at least two times a month seems perfect for completing that project.

It is a fun journey to type that journal and read life through my mother's eyes. I've found so many things with dates that I couldn't remember. I had a miscarriage and that is recorded in her journal. Since I was not a journal keeper then, I'm very appreciative of having that date now. Yesterday I was reading about Claude's graduation from college when we lived in Denver.

Several weeks ago, when I was typing for a bit, I came across this lovely entry about Jake, our son. This is what Mimi wrote on her 50th birthday. It is now a treasured remembrance through my mother's memory.

June 1979
            June 9th was my 50th birthday. Of course I still only admit to 29 of those – ha!  Seriously 50 is not a bad age. It is neat to look over all the changes in my life from the country home where I grew up with no electricity or gas – heated with wood – water drawn hand over hand from a 40 ft. swell curbed with hand split cypress boards and dug by hand to a comfortable air conditioned home – a good car to drive and automatic washer and dryer. Truly we have come a long way. As I look back I am amazed at the progress in all areas that we enjoy and take for granted. It is fun to speculate on the future also. With our growing family – who can say what will happen yet during our mortal years. The girls all call for my birthday and I enjoyed that so much. Sandi’s children each individually sang “Happy Birthday Dear Mimi.” Jacob now 4 had a ‘funny’ on and decided to sing Happy Birthday to Mimi – You look like a monkey and you smell like one too then laughing his precious deep laugh that I can hear so clearly he said “I love you Mimi.” Life is so full.

I'm typing with errors just as my mother wrote with her hand. Papa made two copies of this journal and gave one to Junie and one to Neffie (my sisters) last year for Christmas. So they each have mom's journal. I want the digital copy so I can share it with my kids and my nieces and nephews and they can easily pass it to their kids.

So...I'm off on another adventure and hope to learn much on this journey. It is kind of a funny coincidence. They are starting a Family History class at Church on Sunday during the Sunday School time. I teach the adult Sunday School class. They came in a few weeks ago and announced that this class would begin in a few weeks and then asked for a show of hands to see the interest level among the adults. I raised my hand first and Bro. Squire said, "Everyone except Sis. Christensen, please." We all got a chuckle out of that. Now I'll have my own personal learning time at the FHC with my dear hubby. Can't get much better than that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment