Sunday, June 3, 2012

Just Stuff...

Monday, May 21st I committed to do a presentation of my Israel pictures for the residents at the nursing home. I worked the weekend before to get the pictures in order for them. We already had some of them set up to use to teach about the places we saw in the life of the Savior. I simply used that set up and edited it to be pictures from most of the places we visited.

Monday I also took some of the things we brought back from Israel. I also picked up a friend from Church and took her with me to see the pictures. Papa also came and watched them.

It was great fun to go back through all the pictures from that particular trip. It has to be my favorite trip of all times. Such a grand opportunity and so many, many things we saw. Geraldine Cannon kept saying, "You saw all that. You really got to see all that."

I do think the residents enjoyed it and it helped to fill a special need in this resident appreciation month they had in May.

Tuesday, May 22nd I took Claude to the hospital for his every-five-year colonoscopy. He was a good patient. He had two more polyps but they were not malignant. We'll repeat this process again in 5 years.

Wednesday, May 23rd we took our City Clerk to lunch. Then, in the afternoon, I sang at the nursing home with Papa.

Thursday, May 24th Papa and I attended the Family Council they have every few months for family members and residents of the nursing home. This time a dietician from Central Baptist Hospital came to speak to us about a diabetic diet. She was a good speaker and kept our attention. We are not diabetic but that is a healthy diet for anyone. At the end of the evening she had a door prize that she gave to the person with the next birthday. That turned out to be me. Couldn't believe it. The prize was a very nice cookbook called Soul Food but it is written for a diabetic diet with just good old southern cooking.

Friday, May 25th I met a lady I visit teach at the Japanese restaurant in Georgetown. We had a wonderful lunch together. Then I visited Lowe's to look at plants. I came home with three blueberry bushes. I also purchased two house plants.

Saturday, May 26th Claude and I went into Georgetown to Galvin's for a date. I wanted the muffaletta sandwich and Claude wanted a salad. We asked the nice server and she split each of our meals and we each got half a sandwich and half a salad. Then we headed over to Lowe's for Claude to pick up more dirt. While there we purchased two butterfly bushes.

This particular day our temperatures were in the 90's and way too hot to be outside for long. We came home and waited until between 6 and 6:30pm and then we headed out to plant our new purchases.

The plan was take our irises out of the rain garden and put them in the upper of the two-tiered garden beds. Then we would put the 3 blueberry bushes in the lower tier.

Claude set to work digging three holes in the lower bed. I set to work digging up the irises from the rain garden. Then I heard a groan from Claude and looked up to see frustration written all over his face. It seems he found a rock (go figure!!!) and he couldn't find the edges of it. This was in the third hole he was trying to dig in hard, dry ground.

Plan B was now created. Claude would plant the 3 blueberry bushes in the top tier and I would plant the irises in the lower tier.

I finished digging up irises and joined Claude by the garden spot. He now had holes dug in the top tier but was still frustrated that the taller plant would be in the front. I looked at our situation a bit and then had one of the 'flash of intellect moments' I enjoy occasionally. I suggested to Claude and we put blueberry bushes in either end of the first tier and in the center of the lower tier. Then I would plant irises in the center of the first tier and either end of the second tier. We both liked the idea. I proceeded to turn up the soil where Claude had not dug holes while Claude planted the 3 blueberry bushes in their new homes.

While I planted irises, Claude moved over to the waterbreak on the other side of the back yard where we were going to plant the butterfly bushes.

All this was grueling work. It was still close to 90 degrees. There was shade moving over from the house. Most of my planting was done from a bent over position. This is not fun at my age. Claude, bless his hard-working heart, ended up digging 8 holes when he should have only needed to dig 5 holes. We came in totally spent.

Sunday afternoon, May 27th Andie, Hayden and Bailey arrived and visited through Tuesday morning, May 29th. (see earlier Blog entry)

Wednesday afternoon, May 30th Claude and I used the last of my Groupon's for the Georgetown Theater and saw Dark Shadows. This movie is full of old songs from our younger days. There were only two other couples in the theater with us for this viewing. At one point the music in the movie was the Carpenter's singing "I'm on the Top of the World". Claude and I loved the Carpenters. Great to harmonize with and just good music generally. It didn't take but a few bars before we were each humming harmony in alto and bass. Then we were actually singing the words out loud in alto and bass. Now my hubby can hit the low notes and I just LOVE when he does. At one point he hit a very low note and I looked at him and he looked at me and grinned. He knew I would like that low note. Then we just kept right on grinnin' and singin' out loud and truly didn't care if the others saw or heard us. Great moment in time.

Thursday, May 31st I did some visiting teaching and came home and finished my Sunday School lesson planning. Then I crashed for the rest of the day. Sometimes I just run out of steam.

Friday, June 1st was a day for Claude and I to fill as we saw fit. They don't happen often. I did want to visit my mother during the day to see how she was eating. We made a plan and then called Papa. He was ready to participate with us. Claude drove me in to the nursing home and I joined Papa while he tried to feed Mimi. Afterwards we all met up at our favorite Mexican restaurant for a nice dinner together. How nice to have a quiet spot in busy lives. The food was excellent and Papa took home half of his. Claude told Papa that is why we like to bring him there. We know he is getting two meals every times we go there. One while we are in the restaurant and one in that little white box he takes home each time.

Saturday, June 2nd was Clean Up Sadieville Day.  We were over to Sadieville at 8:30 in the morning. We were able to weed the flower beds in Warring Park and around City Hall. It was a good effort and we were very efficient in getting the job done. Yeah us!!

Claude got me home so I could wash off the poison ivy before I added to that which is currently a week old. Then he took me out to Wendy's for lunch.

Whew...that is a synopsis of my life over the last couple of weeks. Time just keeps on a passing and we just keep filling it up as best we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment