Saturday, March 2, 2013

Along Comes Kindness...

This week has been a week for sick-o's. Truly. Not the perverted ones. The blowing, sneezing, coughing, hurling, fever, achy, can't sleep kind. It felt like I might should have make a sign for our front door that said, "Under Quarantine. Do NOT Enter!!"

By mid week I could feel my episode with a very, very nasty head cold begin to break and want to clear. Albeit is doing that every so slowly but it is happening and I can feel it.

Thursday when I got home from Institute my hubby was curled up on the sofa with a throw over him. His words, "Do you think I have a fever?" were all I needed to hear to know he was about to go down my path. I took comfort in knowing it was only a head cold and, assuming it was what I have, it would start to feel better in a couple of day.

I did find that my trip to teach Institute was quite wearing so I knew I wasn't fully mended yet.

Claude had a meeting in Louisville all day Thursday. He never woke up to go and I didn't wake him. If he was that sick, he didn't need to be around others and he needed to rest. Rest and liquids are always the best medicine.

Friday, he woke up and was feeling very sick to his tummy.  That seemed to be a stronger symptom than mine. He was also running a lot higher fever than I did. Maybe his was going to be worse. We fixed him a big glass of 7-Up over ice and tucked him in bed with the remote and his set of DVD's for a favorite comedy series. He did not get any better as the day wore on.

This morning he woke up and asked me to look at him and see if I noticed anything. Ummmm...YEP!!!  His left cheek was somewhere between two and three times larger than his right cheek. That was not good and definitely not something I experienced. We both are sure he must have an abscessed tooth. That would explain the nausea and fever being greater than mine. He also had a nose bleed at one point. It would seem he didn't get my cold after all.

I called our dentist to leave a message to get him in first thing Monday if at all possible. I got her emergency number from her office message. I called it and had Claude speak with her. She prescribed an antibiotic and some pain meds. I headed to Georgetown to pick up the things to help make my hubby begin to feel a little better.

We settled into an afternoon at home. I was in my sewing room working on my little gift project when I the phone rang. It was my friend, Laura. If memory serves, she asked about snow in our area. I told her her we had a little. Then Laura said, "You should check outside your front door." Hmm...I had opened the blinds from my sewing room and looked at the back yard but Laura insisted I should check the front door. I did and found a most wonderful package on our doorstep. In it was an enormous container of chicken noodle soup and what I thought was a box of tissues (in reality it was a box of crackers).

Laura told Howard, her hubby, that Claude now had what I had. Howard's reaction was, "But Claude is the one that makes the soup!"  Such good friends that know us so well. They set to work preparing chicken noodle soup for us. Then they drove all the way over from Frankfort and placed it our front door step. Then drove away and called to be sure I went to the front door.

After heating it up we placed it in our special soup mugs we got from the potter on Claude's birthday trip. Man-O-Man was it just the best thing on a cold, snowy day when we are both under the weather.  We are so grateful for these dear people in our lives.  Even if they hadn't brought soup, we would still be grateful for these friends. But we are deeply grateful they took all that time and effort and care to help us.

Thank you Carter family! 

No comments:

Post a Comment