Friday, March 1, 2013

Strange Moment...

Thursday nights I teach an Institute of Religion class in Lexington to the Young Adults (age 18-30). Everything Thursday I prepare something for refreshment after class. However, this week I have been very sick and felt like baking cookies or a cake and giving it to these young people with a shiny red nose would be counter productive. I mean, really, who wants to eat something from someone with a cold, even if they are a fanatic about washing their hands. Just seemed not the best idea. So I opted to stop in at Walmart and pick up two packages of nice cookies for refreshments.

I selected Chunky Chocolate Chip and White Chocolate Macadamia Nut cookies. Ever the practical lady, I wanted cookies I would enjoy in my home if they didn't eat them all.

I took my place in the express lane. When it came my turn, the nice checkout lady rang up my total while I search in the caverns of my purse for my wallet. She got my total and looked at me kind of stunned and said "6.6.6". I looked at her and said, "What?"  She looked back at me and said, "6.6.6. (Pause)  Would you like to purchase some gum?"  I looked at her and said, "That is not good! Is it really $6.66?"  "Yes," was her reply.

By this time the lady behind me in line was paying attention. We all knew that 6.6.6 is the sign of the devil from Revelation. I usually find it strange when the purchase just ends in an even dollar amount like $6.00. But this was really strange to me.

I found the exact amount of money and told her this was most amazing as I was actually taking these for refreshments for a religion class I was going to teach. Then all three of us burst into laughter.

I stopped at Papa's to give him a haircut and shared this story with him. He also had a nice laugh out of it.

When we got to the end of the lesson last night I explain to the class my strange little experience and asked that the person saying the closing prayer be sure to bless the refreshments - carefully. Again, we all got a good chuckle. However, BJ did say a very nice closing prayer and included a nice reference to those cookies.

I'll just add that there were left over cookies which I took home and Claude and I enjoyed. Silly numbers!!  I think I'll have one of those cookies for breakfast!!

No comments:

Post a Comment